1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - James Kilpatrick & Son Ltd., Renfrew - June 2010

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by BenCooper, Jun 15, 2010.

  1. BenCooper

    BenCooper Mr Boombastic
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    460
    Likes Received:
    22
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

    It's hard to know what to call this site, as it's had so many names. The company of James Kilpatrick & Son was formed by master plumber James Stevenson Kilpatrick of Paisley, and it was when his son John got involved that the company became involved with electrical installation. They started off with installations in private houses (only the poshest houses had electric power at the time), and moved into armature winding and other heavier electrical work.

    [​IMG]

    In 1937, the company was sold to Duncan Watson (Electrical Engineers) Ltd of London. The company became involved with power station work, especially the large hydroelectric projects in the Highlands. In 1949, the company was sold again to Power Securities Ltd., the owners of the Balfour Beattie construction company, and the company became the Balfour Kilpatrick division, specialising in large electrical installations.

    [​IMG]

    The company established Lounsdale Electric Ltd. in 1956 to make switchboards, and there was another merger with British Insulated Callender's Cables - BICC owned a site in Renfrew, so the various divisions moved there in 1979, to this pretty 1930s office building.

    [​IMG]

    The company moved to a new site in Hillington a few years ago, leaving behind a selection of buildings. They're pretty trashed and mostly boring office stuff, but there are some interesting details.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The Lounsdale section had some interesting plans left behind:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    And in one outbuilding, loads of old company records, brochures and pictures:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Loads more pictures, as usual, in my Flickr set...
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in