1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Monks Park Quarry, Wiltshire. Oct 2010

Discussion in 'Mines and Quarries' started by vwdirtboy, Oct 3, 2010.

  1. vwdirtboy

    vwdirtboy Keeuunnntt!
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2010
    Messages:
    130
    Likes Received:
    14
    Monks park quarry started it's life under the name of Sumsions Monks or Monks North as it was started in 1886 by Sumsions as a Bath stone quarry, the mine then changed hands to The Bath and Portland Stone Co. who's name has since changed to ARC Stone. The mine now covers 38 acres and has 212 steps leading down, the stone being about 100’ below the ground.

    In 1937 the quarry was taken over by the War Department and used as an ammunition and explosives store, although the whole area was not converted. The site became surplus in 1941 and sat empty until 1954 when a 10 acre area of the quarry was converted by the Royal Navy as an extension to the stores at Copenacre Quarry as well as Spring Quarry. The conversion took two years and during this time , 250,000 tons of waste was removed, floors laid, ceilings and pillars strengthened where necessary and engineering services installed. To make the quarry suitable for storage a new reinforced lift shaft was constructed.

    The rest of the quarry which was never converted remained in it’s original stone quarry state, this half became a quarry museum for a short time before being moved to Pickwick Quarry as it was decided that the quarry would once again be put in to use for stone extraction. Hanson's then took over the lease and carried on quarrying till closure in 2008.

    Since being closed 'Der pikey's' have been in and looted whatever they could carry out..



    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]


    Thanks for looking! :D
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in