1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - More Islip mines & quarries

Discussion in 'Mines and Quarries' started by Rustynail, Aug 29, 2010.

  1. Rustynail

    Rustynail it's dark in here innit?
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2009
    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    1
    Production from Church Mine North, an adit driven into the hillside at the end of a quarry, known as Marsh's pit, began in 1923. The mine, along with others owned by the company, was laid out by a German engineer Hans Wolf . Headings were driven at an angle of 50 deg. to one another to give diamond-shaped pillars in order to increase the amount of stone that could be extracted over the usual 90 deg and square pillar method. The ironstone was hand-loaded into 2ft. 6in. gauge tubs and hauled by horses to a tipping dock near the adit where it was tipped at into 3ft. gauge railway wagons for transport to the nearby Islip furnaces. By 1933 the mine had been connected to Church mine (from then on known as Church Mine South) and the adits at North being used only for ventilation, all production leaving from the adits, about a mile away, at South.

    In the mid 1930s diesel locomotives replaced horses on the main haulage runs with up to five being used in the mine and all built by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd. of Lincoln. In the 1940s up to eighty men were working in two shifts. The mine closed in 1947.

    On with the pics...

    Deep in the jungle
    [​IMG]

    Aha!
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Oil can?
    [​IMG]

    Horse shoe
    [​IMG]

    The remains of a mine tub?
    [​IMG]

    Hobnail boot marks
    [​IMG]

    Carbide lamp
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    At this point in this heading we turned around because the rock was flaking under pressure due to the walls being very thin here.
    [​IMG]

    Brick walls were built to block off worked-out areas to divert airflow around the mine.
    [​IMG]

    Iron oxide stalactites
    [​IMG]

    The way out...
    [​IMG]

    The vent shaft, which is 100ft. deep.
    [​IMG]
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in