1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - North and South Front Casemates, Dover, 2012

Discussion in 'Military Sites' started by TheTimeChamber, Dec 28, 2012.

  1. TheTimeChamber

    TheTimeChamber The other one
    Regular User

    Jun 21, 2010
    Likes Received:
    The fortification of the Western Heights in Dover Begun in the 18th Century, when the Spanish and French Armada sailed off our coast. A simple earthworks was constructed to compliment the fortification at Dover Castle. In response to Napoleons planned invasion in 1804, Lieutenant-Colonel William Twiss was order to modernise the existing defences of the Western Heights. Two Forts, Drop Redoubt and Citadel were constructed and both linked by a series of Dry Moats. The Grand Shaft, a triple helix staircase, was also constructed to allow the maximum number of troops to be deployed to the sea level in the fastest time. These fortifications were left in an unfinished state after a truce was established with France. The soon fell into abandonment.




    During the 1850′s, France emerged as a new threat and Napoleon III started to dominate Europe. In Order to balance the power of the region, Lord Palmerston rarely sided with the French and in 1859, the threat of Invasion loomed once again. After a Royal Commission, the Western Heights defences were redesigned as a state of the art barrack and gun complex that was protected by four miles of dry ditches. Since this redevelopment, and up until WW2, the military occupied the area. As part of the modernisation, a north and south front casemate were constructed to provide protection to the dry ditches, a now buried caponier sat in the middle.





    Great little places to go and see, even if the route is knackering, dodgy and slippery when wet

    S8 :)

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in