1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Old Norfolk & Norwich Hospital, Norwich Jan. 2012

Discussion in 'Asylums and Hospitals' started by sageman, Mar 8, 2012.

  1. sageman

    sageman 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2011
    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    15
    hello again

    most of the building has been turned into flats and apartments but this part work has started but never finished this part was training area and according to my aunt who trained here this was mostly classrooms

    info on the old n&n from wiki

    The Norfolk and Norwich Hospital was founded in 1771 as a charitable institution for the care of "the poor and the sick" and was established by William Fellowes and Benjamin Gooch. The old Norfolk and Norwich Hospital finally closed in 2003 after services were moved to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

    In 1871 the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, often referred to colloquially as the "N&N", celebrated its centenary. The hospital became a training centre for nurses in 1875, and was expanded in 1883 when a new main hospital building opened on St Stephen's Road with 220 beds

    During the First World War the Norfolk and Norwich cared for 7,880 servicemen and in February 1915 a new ward, the Eastern Daily Press (EDP) ward, was opened for 60 soldiers. The cost of £2,600 had been raised by the local newspaper. The EDP ward was demolished in 1930 to make way for a new Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat department.

    The Second World War saw the hospital bombed on a number of occasions, including in April 1942, during the German Baedeker raids, and the site was severely damaged by bombing on June 26/27th. As a result of the June 1942 raid, 120 beds were put out of commission, 80 nurses and maids were made homeless and the main operating theatres were destroyed.

    In 1948 the National Health Service was founded and the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital became an NHS hospital. In 1949, the Norwich, Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth Hospital Management Committee described Norwich's new NHS hospitals as the United Norwich Hospitals (UNH). The UNH were the:

    - Norfolk and Norwich Hospital
    - Norfolk and Norwich Eye Infirmary
    - Jenny Lind Infirmary for Sick Children
    - Norwich Isolation Hospital
    - West Norwich Hospital

    Major expansion took place at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital in the late 1960s with the construction of a ten-storey maternity block, opened by the Queen Mother in 1968. A new main ward block, diagnostic and treatment area, and a teaching centre were all built in the 1970s.

    The end of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital

    In late 2001 most of the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital NHS Trust's services had left the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital for the new university hospital on the Norwich Research Park with the last departments vacating the site in January 2003.

    In October 2002 a thanksgiving service was held at Norwich Cathedral to mark the contribution the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital and its staff had made over the centuries. Around 800 staff, patients and visitors attended the service of thanksgiving for the old hospital.

    The former Norfolk and Norwich Hospital was sold by the Department of Health to developer Persimmon Homes and the site was redeveloped as Fellowes Plain. The medical tradition continues with the Fellowes Plain street names, which are named after notable Norfolk and Norwich Hospital figures;

    - Sarah West Close - after the hospital's first matron
    - Thomas Wyatt Close - an architect of the 1883 building
    - Edward Jodrell Plain - a major benefactor
    - Benjamin Gooch Way - surgeon and hospital founder
    - Phillipa Flowerday Plain - first known industrial nurse
    - Kenneth McKee Plain - surgeon famed for hip replacements

    pictures

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    someone forgot to empty the rubbish

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    telephone booths

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    the stares to knowhere

    [​IMG]
    a bit nippy when on there

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    thanks for looking
     
    #1 sageman, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in