1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Pingley POW camp - Lincolnshire, December 2008

Discussion in 'Military Sites' started by Thenegativeone, Jun 25, 2014.

  1. Thenegativeone

    Thenegativeone 28DL Member
    28DL Member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    A little history first:
    Pingley Camp was one of a large number constructed to a 'generic pattern' during 1942-1943. This was largely due to the numbers of Italian prisoners taken during the North African campaign successes. Designated 'Camp 81', it was originally designed to house 750 prisoners. The camp consisted of buildings for the prisoners and guards, recreation ground and garden plots. There were no guard towers; the prisoners being regarded as 'low risk'.

    The guards area (and water tower) consisted of 15 huts whilst the prisoner's compound had a total 35 huts, including ablutions huts, cookhouse and dining room, carpenter's shop and 25 accommodation huts. Most of the huts are Ministry of War Production (MoWP) construction, of 18 foot 6 inch span. Alongside these are a few Laing huts, being timber-framed and clad externally with corrugated iron sheeting.

    Originally containing Italian POW's, by mid-1944 after the invasion of Europe was well under way, large numbers of German prisoners began to find their way to the UK and about this time, Pingley became exclusively German. After the end of the War, the numbers of prisoners swelled and by 1946, was responsible for 1,862! Many of these were billeted in tents or accommodation in the surrounding area. By 1947, with the prisoners finally gone, the Camp became an agricultural hostel and this was to continue until possibly the 1980's. Since this time, it has remained in part-use for storage by a local farm. During 2004, the site was the subject of a planning inquiry (for proposed low density housing). English Heritage raised objections and pushed for at least one building to remain. The objections were 'noted' and it appears there was an attempt to reach a compromise.

    This site was destroyed in Jan 2009 so these are probably some of the last taken of this site.


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    #1 Thenegativeone, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in