1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Pool Parc - Ruthin - November 2013

Discussion in 'Asylums and Hospitals' started by Will Knot, Nov 11, 2013.

  1. Will Knot

    Will Knot 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    Likes Received:
    419
    This place is now well trashed..............:crazy

    The origin of Pool Park is not fully known, but it was one of the five deer parks associated with nearby Ruthin Castle, the estate itself being considerably older than the house. Pool Park was part of the Bachymbyd and Rhug estate, was aquired in the 16th Century by the Salesbury family. The estate was divided into two by William Salesbury, and Pool Park was left to his younger son, Charles. The estate then passed into the hands of the Bagot family in 1670 when Charles only surviving daughter married Sir Walter Bagot.

    Between 1826 and 1829, Pool Park was re-built for William, 2nd Lord Bagot, in a half-timbered, mock-Tudor design. The balustrades either side of the front entrance are from the Bachymbyd old house, and the fine oak staircase came from an old house in Clocaenog, said to be a former Bishops residence.

    During the 19th Century, the house had several tenants, while remaining in the hands of the Bagot family. However, in 1928 Pool Park was alledgedly lost by the Bagot family on a bet at the races. The land was divided into lots and was mainly sold to a Llanrwst timber merchant who felled many of the trees, including the avenues. The house remained unsold and was leased to Sir Henry Tate as a retreat from his Liverpool sugar enterprises.

    In 1934, the District Health Authority bought Pool Park as a convalescent home which housed 80 male patients in 1937 and up to 120 during the war. A POW camp was also established in the grounds.

    In 1949, Pool Park became a mental health hospital and also accepted women. The gardens at this time were worked by the patients as a form of occupational therapy. The hospital sewage treatment was sited on the slope below the house, close to the stream.

    The patients left Pool Park in 1989. The house was sold by the N.H.S. in 1995 to a builder, who presently owns it. The interiors magnificent woodwork, for which an export permit was refused, but has remained empty ever since. The landscape is now well overgrown and the house falling into ruin. Pool Park is a grade 2 listed building and is in urgent need of repair!

    The explore.............visited with Kerfuffle whilst on our way back from the Penrhyn Zipline the 28DL Camping meet with Kwan, Bigjobs, Telf and the crew :)................it was still daylight when we traveled back home tho' :rolleyes:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Trust you enjoyed the pics :D I Will Knot :thumb[
     
    #1 Will Knot, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in