1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Powerstation in Latvia , June 2014

Discussion in 'European and International Sites' started by ne_viens, Jan 11, 2015.

  1. ne_viens

    ne_viens 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2012
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    1
    History
    The history of the powerstation began in 1901 with a growing demand for electricity amongst capital’s inhabitants, which couldn't be satisfied by the private electricity generation businesses. The station was planned out by the well known German engineer Oskar von Miller and the total cost of it was 1.3 million roubles. The power station started its work in 1905 and at the time was the largest electricity supplier in the Baltic countries with capacity of 1482 kW. By the end of WW2 most of it was blown up leaving only the outside of the main building’s facade. It kept working after renovation until 31st May 2004. Some of the equipment from the powerstation is now property of the Power Generation Museum.

    Exploration
    It was a bit of spontaneous idea as we were walking past the building, because of a previously unsuccessful attempt to have a wonder during daytime, where our visit was interfered by a guy from the next building. This time entry went well and the sunlight was in the almost right dose, coming from the massive side windows. The AEG turbine have been removed, leaving ditch style passages across the hall with wooden planks connecting entrance with the way to the roof.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    There isn’t much left inside the building, which is now being used for paintball and airsoft. From what was still there, a room with quite a few dissembled old phones was the most noticeable, slowly degraded by the magpie’s human equivalent - the metal thieves.



    [​IMG]


    Rooftop with the chimney on the other hand was pleasant as usual and now in the daylight the rusty structures were especially appealing. We started to take photos, however our joy was pretty short as someone from the rooftop in the nearby customs territory was looking our way. Not wanting to challenge our luck we ventured off to chill a bit further from the buildings with a great view on the cranes in the port’s territory.

    [​IMG]



    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]
     
    wea5el likes this.

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in