1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Prospect Mills, Thornton - May 2015

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by Landie_Man, May 14, 2015.

  1. Landie_Man

    Landie_Man "Landie" or Harry :-)
    Regular User

    Sep 15, 2008
    Likes Received:
    After The Blue Church; we headed towards Leeds and stopped off at this Mill en-route to another site in Thornton.

    The outside looked promising but the inside proved to be pretty derpy and trashed sadly. It would have once been a nice site but has had large sections demolished and also suffered a ground floor fire in 2011.

    The roadside part appeared sealed and the bit at the back that we explored was divided up into smaller units after the operations ceased, a lot of it sealed off from the inside. Not much interesting went on after the mill closed. Mainly Graphic Design and Keyboard Lessons.

    The site began operating at around 1831 with Joshua Craven as the centre of a putting-out system, and developed as a mill from about 1848. The first building; the large mill, was completed by 1849 and the first warehouse, dated 1849, followed soon after.

    Craven continued to buy land in the area to accommodate his growing business. By 1851 the firm was described as a worsted manufactury which employed 240 people. The operations continued to expand, with the small mill built around 1850-60, and the second warehouse which fronted the road in 1855.

    It soon traded under “Joshua Craven & Son” which continued until 1875, when the buildings were bought by Adolphus Getz of Bradford, and subsequently by others until at least 1929.

    In 2015 the buildings still sit disued.












    More At:

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in