1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - RAF Comberton, Worcestershire, August 2012

Discussion in 'Military Sites' started by A man called Martyn, Sep 1, 2012.

  1. A man called Martyn

    A man called Martyn cultural theorist
    Regular User

    Aug 30, 2008
    Likes Received:
    This was the only operational Ground Controlled Interception (GCI)radar station established in the West midlands and was one of only five inland radar stations activated in the spring of 1941 as a response to the luftwaffe threat.The first equipment to arrive on site was an intermediate transportable type.In 1943 RAF Comberton was upgraded to a final GCI station with type 7 radar capable of multiple aircraft controlling, long range and better height finding capabilites.A brick built operations room and a number of ancillary buildings were added in 1943.
    Post war the site was updated as part of the ROTOR system. An additional above ground ops building with eight concrete aerial plinths was added.All that remains of this building are the foundations that form a hard standing for the present day farm.The same can be said of other ancillary buildings that could not find a new use as farm out buildings,that all that remains of them is an outline on the ground.
    The site was on care and maintenance in the late 1950s and was closed some time after that.The local TA also made use of the site for a time after that.But the site was derelict by the early 1980s.
    There are also remains of the site accommodation which are located at Vandyke court.Later a purpose built camp was provided at nearby Pinvin.Where a water tower still stands.
    Historical information from 20th century defences in Britain, The west Midlands area by Colin Jones, Bernard Lowry and Mick Wilks.
    Cold war :Building for Nuclear Confrontation by Wayne Cocroft and Roger J.C Thomas, Edited by P.S Barnwell.

    Ops building built in 1943 and known as the 'Happidrome'


    Hand painted signage.
    Hand written in what appeared to be chalk.Still on the wall after 50+years.



    Standby Set House.
    ROTOR period Radar Plinths, Four examples of these buildings still exist at the site.The steel from the gantries that would have surrounded these buildings was recycled on the farm to make trailers and such.
    #1 A man called Martyn, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in