1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - RAF Stenigot Lincs December 2010

Discussion in 'Military Sites' started by Tassadar, Dec 29, 2010.

  1. Tassadar

    Tassadar 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2009
    Messages:
    114
    Likes Received:
    3
    Visited with Tcake and Thestig after doin ABM Pauls a few miles away before visiting the king (Burgerking that is) and attempting Grimsby Icehouse (epic fail) We must have missed Muttley by minutes by the looks of it. Also sillyines was had with driving on icy roads and meeting 40 tonne lorries coming in the opposite direction . Thestig now refers to my car as a fake 4x4


    Historys from Subrit/Wikiland

    theres a Facebook for ACE HIGH stations too, has some interesting pics from other sites

    ACEHIGH Programme
    ACE High was a NATO communications system which dates back to 1956. The system was decommissioned in the late 1980s, and its frequencies reallocated for commercial radiotelephone service. The system was designed to be an L-band troposcatter radio system, which was meant to provide long-range communication service in the form of telephone and telegraph to NATO. These two services combined produced over two hundred channels, and equipment was in place to multiplex them to contain up to 12 different calls each. There were 82 stations, located in nine different NATO countries.
    The transmitters broadcast at 832.56 to 959.28 MHz, and some were able to produce a transmitting power of about 10 kilowatts.

    Historys
    In 1959, Stenigot was selected as part of NATO's Ace High communications programme developed in the mid 1950's.

    Ace High was a tropospheric scatter/microwave link system providing an exclusive communications network comprising 49 tropospheric scatter links and 40 line-of-sight microwave links. It extended from northern Norway and through central Europe to eastern Turkey and included 570 voice, 260 telegraph and 60 data circuits at 84 sites.

    There were five sites in Britain:
    Shetland Islands
    Mormond Hill near Fraserburgh (Aberdeenshire)
    Brizlee Wood near Alnwick (Northumberland)
    Detling near Maidstone (Kent)
    Stenigot (Lincolnshire)

    The Ace High station utilized 4.72 acres of the former CH site between the earlier transmitter and receiver blocks. It was enclosed within a security fence and provided with high intensity lighting. A two storey police house stood at the entrance gate part way along a track running north west from the road. The most prominent feature was two pairs of parabolic dish antenna, 60 feet in diameter supported on seven lattice steel girder legs.

    The transmitters, receivers and power supplies were located in a single storey brick building between the pairs of dishes.
    With the development of new microwave communications technology in the 1980's, tropospheric scatter systems became redundant and the Ace High network was abandoned in the early 1990's and the stations closed.

    The equipment and buildings were removed in 1996 although the four parabolic dishes can still be seen lying on the ground close to the old chain home receiver block. All the other buildings connected with Ace High, including the police house have been demolished with only the concrete bases remaining to indicate their former positions.


    Heres my take anyway as ever all feedback welcome

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    As we where leaving Tcake fell over a fence and we where duty bound to follow him into the Chain home transmitter building , being scared by the the CCTV signs. we did find some laminated details of the site but on investigation they where pront outs from Subbrit in 2005

    Chain Home
    Chain Home was the codename for the ring of coastal Early Warning radar stations built by the British before and during the Second World War. The system otherwise known as AMES Type 1 (Air Ministry Experimental Station) consisted of radar fixed on top of a radio tower mast, called a 'station' to provide long-range detection of aircraft.[1] This system had shortcomings in not being able to detect aircraft at lower altitudes and thus was used in conjunction with the Chain Home Low system, or AMES Type 2 which could detect aircraft flying at minimum altitude level of 500 ft.[2]

    One mast remains used by RAF Digby for Ariel erector training and is in a marginally more secure compound.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    Thanks for looking
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in