1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - RAF Wellingore, Lincs, March 2016

Discussion in 'Military Sites' started by HughieD, Apr 22, 2016.

  1. HughieD

    HughieD 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Jan 15, 2013
    Likes Received:
    Been through Wellingore too many times to time count but never got off the main road through this hilltop Lincs village and to the south-east where the former WW2 airfield is situated. There is still quite a lot to see here and from the pictures I’d seen of the place knew it was well worth a visit. And when I finally got round to going it didn’t disappoint. There’s Pillbox a-plenty along with defended dispersals plus a reasonable condition Battle HQ. There was even the unexpected bonus of some other RAF buildings just west of the main airfield. This Technical Site for RAF Wellingore includes a power house, two large ‘Maycrete type’ workshops and a blast shelter. Which all-in-all made for a very satisfying explore. Here’s the history bit.

    The airfield originally opened in 1917 as a Royal Naval Air Service station called Wellingore Heath. It then re-opened in 1935 and remained in active service until the end of the Second World War, finally closing in 1947. It had two grass runways, a concrete perimeter track and one extra over blister hanger and seven blister hangers. The site just south of village was used as Relief Landing Ground (RLG) by Cranwell until June 1940 and then as a satellite site for RAF Digby with 46 Squadron Hurricanes and 29 Squadron Blenheims and Beaufighters. Notable personalities include Wing Commander Guy Gibson who lived with his young wife in the nearby Navenby village. The station was also used as a prisoner of war (POW) camp for prisoners from Germany and the Ukraine. It operated as a work camp, where inmates were sent to work as labourers in the local area. The land was then given back to the local land-owner (the Overtons). Many of the original buildings, including the control have been demolished but many others, as mentioned earlier, still remain. Immediately to the east of the airfield runs the High Dyke (Ermine Street Roman Road).

    Here’s the pix. Former technical site first.

    Oooh…this looks promising:

    [​IMG]img4811 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    Very promising. Is this the power-house?

    [​IMG]img4812 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    Think this is one of the Maycrete type’ workshops:

    [​IMG]img4832 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    And another workshop…

    [​IMG]img4816 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4818 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    These are definitely the blast trenches:

    [​IMG]img4821 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    Nature is ever-advancing:

    [​IMG]img4823 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4824 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4830 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    The workshops are used by the local farmer for storage now:

    [​IMG]img4822 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    Including this old dog kennel called ‘Bone View’:

    [​IMG]img4825 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    And this vintage piece of farm machinery:

    [​IMG]img4831 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    Here’s the obligatory old RAF toilet shot:

    [​IMG]img4828 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    On to the main site:

    [​IMG]img4833 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    There are plenty of pillboxes scattered around:

    [​IMG]img4834 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4839 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    This one’s sealed but a peek through the slit reveals the iron gun loop mounts intact:

    [​IMG]img4835 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    There are plenty of defended dispersals too:

    [​IMG]img4840 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4843 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4844 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4845 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4846 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4848 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4849 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    This pillbox is on the site’s perimeter:

    [​IMG]img4851 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    Again with the machine-gun mounts present:

    [​IMG]img4853 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4856 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    Finally we have the Battle HQ:

    [​IMG]img4858 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4859 by HughieDW, on Flickr

    [​IMG]img4862 by HughieDW, on Flickr
    mw0sec, Budice and WildBoyz like this.

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

  2. WildBoyz

    WildBoyz Is this the future?
    Regular User

    Mar 16, 2014
    Likes Received:
    Good shots history as always :thumb
    HughieD likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in