1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - RNAS Stretton (HMS Blackcap)

Discussion in 'Military Sites' started by Tristar, May 2, 2011.

  1. Tristar

    Tristar 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Apr 16, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Hi guys, stumbled across RNAS Stretton today, its not anywhere on here as far as im aware from searching. Pics aren't amazing, and theres nothing left really but im sure some of you may find it of interest :)


    Royal Naval Air Station Stretton (HMS Blackcap), was an airfield in the village of Appleton Thorn, close to the village of Stretton, south of Warrington, in Cheshire.

    The airfield's site was located to the south west of junction 9 of the later M56 motorway.

    World War II:

    RNAS Stretton was originally planned as a Royal Air Force night fighter station to protect Liverpool and Manchester from Luftwaffe air raids during World War II. However changes in German tactics meant that the airfield was not required so it was transferred to the Admiralty on completion. Three runways and numerous hangars had been built.

    HMS Blackcap was commissioned on 1 June 1942 and forty-one Fleet Air Arm Squadrons were based here for varying periods with some aircraft being flown directly to and from aircraft carriers operating in the Irish Sea and other nearby waters.

    Fairey Aviation used a hangar on the northeast edge of the airfield for the modification, repair and flight-testing of Barracudas, Fireflies and Fulmars before they were despatched to their operational squadrons. From 1944 HMS Blackcap was also used as an Aircraft Maintenance Yard, a large hangar complex being constructed to the northwest of the airfield for this activity.

    Post War Operations:

    At the end of the war American Naval Aircraft were flown into Blackcap to be broken up for disposal. The Aircraft Maintenance Yard at Blackcap meant that the airfield continued to operate and, at its peak, handled one third of all Fleet Air Arm Aircraft and all its spare engines.

    In 1947 the Fleet Air Arm decided to form Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Squadrons. The first to be based at Stretton was 1831 Naval Air Squadron, a fighter squadron, which was reformed here on 1 June 1947. It was joined on 18 August 1952 by 1841 Naval Air Squadron, an anti-submarine squadron. Together, these Squadrons comprised the Northern Air Division which was formed at Stretton on 1 June 1952 and disbanded on 10 March 1957 together with its constituent units.

    767 Naval Air Squadron who operated Supermarine Attackers was also based in Stretton. The most notable incident when Attacker FB Mk.1, WA535 crashed on 05.02.1953 near Winwick fatally killing the pilot Mr Roy Edwin Collingwood aged 22.

    The last squadron based at HMS Blackcap was 728B Naval Air Squadron, formed in January 1958. The squadron was relocated on 15 February 1958 to HMS Falcon, Hal Far, Malta.

    The airfield was closed on 4 November 1958.








    There are a few shelters on this site, and an old ATC tower but I didnt have enough time so will have to nip back soon

    Cheers :thumb
    #1 Tristar, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in