1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Sheffield Crown & High court / Old Town Hall - September 2013

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by The devil child, Sep 22, 2013.

  1. The devil child

    The devil child 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2013
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    85
    This place has got to be one of the most posted buildings on this site so choosing shots was a hard one, Myself and two other 28DL members (The Lone Shadow & FaZy_UK) planned the 106 mile roadtrip from the Northants to Sheffield the other week, We were supposed to setting off at half 6 in the morning but that was an epic fail as i overslept :banghead We ended up setting off by half 7 travelling to Sheffield and headed straight to the Crown court. Arriving at the court at half 9 we scoped out the entrance and were preparing to go in when all of a sudden a pair of hands emerged from the entrance along with a head it was 2 more explorer's just about to leave the court they were sound they told us the safest way to get in :thumb Here's a bit of history on the building taken from good old wikipedia

    Sheffield Old Town Hall stands on Waingate in central Sheffield, England, opposite Castle Market.
    The building was commissioned to replace Sheffield's first town hall, which had opened in 1700 to a design by William Renny. This first structure stood by the parish church, on a site with little prospect for extension.
    The Old Town Hall was built in 1807–8 by Charles Watson, and was designed to house not only the Town Trustees but also the Petty and Quarter Sessions. The initial building was a five-bay structure fronting Castle Street, but it was extended in 1833 and again in 1866 by William Flockton (1804-1864) of Sheffield and his partner for the project, Abbott; the most prominent feature was the new central clock tower over a new main entrance that reoriented the building to Waingate. At the same time, the building's courtrooms were linked by underground passages to the neighbouring Sheffield Police Offices.


    Waingate in 1857: the Old Town Hall with its first clock tower on the left
    The first Town Council was elected in 1843 and took over the lease of the Town Trustees' hall in 1866. The following year, the building was extensively renovated, with a clock tower designed by Flockton & Abbott being added.
    By the 1890s, the building had again become too small, and the current Sheffield Town Hall was built further south. The Old Town Hall was again extended in 1896-7, by the renamed Flockton, Gibbs & Flockton, and became Sheffield Crown Court and Sheffield High Court. In the 1990s, these courts moved to new premises, and since at least 1997 to present, the building remains disused.
    In 2007, it was named by the Victorian Society as one of their top ten buildings most at-risk


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    thanks for looking :thumb
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in