1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Snowdown Colliery, Kent - 17-07-07

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by MarkR, Jun 17, 2007.

  1. MarkR

    MarkR 28DL Member
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    Messages:
    679
    Likes Received:
    4
    Home Page:
    visited with Riddlers and Lillimouse

    literally drove past this place by accident. huge disused colliery. with 3 now capped shafts.

    be aware there is onsite security and we got their permission to have a look around.. big shout to them...

    bit of history from the web:

    Work commenced on Snowdown Colliery in 1908. The first coal was brought to the surface on 19th November 1912. The mine workings stood alongside the main-line railway from Dover to Canterbury near the hamlet of Ackholt (between the villages of Womenswold and Nonnington). A new town - Aylesham - was built to provide homes for the many migrant workers from Wales and the North-East of England.

    Work started on the excavations for the new town in September 1926. The first part of the town was to comprise 400 dwellings, half built of brick in the traditional way, the other half of steel and concrete. Work started during the national miners' strike although, according to the Dover Express for the last week in September, 209 miners at Snowdown had returned to work that week and had produced 60 tons of coal in one shift. Workers at the other Kent pits were still on strike.

    Bricklayers and other building workers from as far afield as Dover would walk to the colliery every day, doing a full day's work on site before walking home again. If the weather was bad and they could not work, they would not be paid.

    The colliery finally closed in 1986. Just a few derelict buildings remain as a reminder of its busy past.


    [​IMG]

    You can see hear where the huge vent fans were

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    One of the plaques on a capped shaft

    [​IMG]
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

  2. xm657

    xm657 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    2
    Home Page:
    Re: Snowdown Colliery, Kent - REPORT - 17-07-07

    What a great find, had to do some more research on this after reading this report - heres some before and after pics coutesy of google in case anyone's interested!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in