1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - St Augustine’s Hospital, Chartham, Jan and Feb 2011

Discussion in 'Asylums and Hospitals' started by Weeble, Feb 24, 2011.

  1. Weeble

    Weeble Having a blonde moment
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    77
    Likes Received:
    17
    Visited with Catullus on 2 occasions. On our first visit (in January) we explored Oak House, and on our second visit (in February) we explored Beech House, Juniper House and Redwood House.

    Some history:

    Chartham asylum has also been known as Kent County Lunatic Asylum, Kent County Mental Hospital and St Augustine’s Hospital (from 1948).

    The site on Chartham Downs near Canterbury was described by the Commissioners in Lunacy as being in 'so bleak and elevated a position, exposed on all sides'. The site was approved by the Commissioners only after intervention by the Secretary of State.
    The first asylum buildings were designed by John Giles and Gough and built between 1872 and 1875. On 5th April 1875, the first patients (East Kent patients housed at Barming Heath) arrived at the Kent County Lunatic Asylum, Chartham Downs.

    The hospital closed in 1993 and redevelopment of the site was started in 1997.
    The site of the main hospital buildings has been converted into a housing estate. The water tower forms part of a newly-built block of flats. The admin building and chapel also remain and have been turned into housing.

    There are 4 buildings left that are slightly away from the main site and are lying derelict: Oak House (built in 1939 as specialist spinal wards), Beech House (a school, built in 1972), Juniper House and Redwood House.

    Photos…..


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in