1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - St Johns Church, Whittingham, August 2015.

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by Motionless Escapes, Sep 23, 2015.

  1. Motionless Escapes

    Motionless Escapes 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Jul 16, 2014
    Likes Received:
    The Church of St John, comprising of a chancel, nave, aisles and a tower, was built in the grounds of the County Lunatic Asylum, Whittingham.

    As with all Victorian Institutions of the day, religion played a great part and, it was to this end that the church was built within the grounds, the contract for this and a Chaplain's house was awarded in September 1871.

    St John's Church was Church of England, and provision for Roman Catholics was made in a room set aside in one of the wards. In June 1875 the Church was licensed by the Bishop of Manchester. The first hospital chaplain was the Rev W T Palmour. The Asylum cemetery was consecrated in 1895, again by the Bishop of Manchester and the chaplain was awarded 2/6d for each burial service performed.

    The Asylum closed in 1995 and there are plans to convert the Church to a community center, this depends on whether they get listed building consent as St John’s is Grade II listed.

    The cemetery was split into two halves, one for those who could afford to be buried and the other was a pauper’s cemetery. Today the cemetery is listed as being grassed over and all the name plates from the individual graves have been placed on a pile of stones.
    ref: http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Goosnargh/stjohn/index.html

    Visited with @copper_bollocks, nice little explore shame to see a construction site inside but worth while non the less. With plenty of old features left to see.
    Sorry about the quality of pictures im trying :)
    Cheers folks :thumb
    urblex and Nightkrawler like this.

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in