1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

St Jonathon the evangelist, Crawshawbooth, December 2015.

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by LancashireExplorations, Dec 10, 2015.

  1. LancashireExplorations

    LancashireExplorations 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    May 21, 2015
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    71
    The History
    The area of Higher Booths was reliant on St Mary & All Saints at Goodshaw to provide a place of worship for the Anglican community from the mid-sixteenth century. By the 1880s, with the rapidly increasing population of Crawshawbooth, it was unable to cope, with the demand for pews being fifty applicants for every pew vacancy.

    At the same time as this rise in population the Brooks family where also rising in prestige and wealth. The Brooks family, who were cattle dealers from Whalley, came to Crawshawbooth at the turn of the 18th century acquiring Sunnyside House and then added Crawshaw Hall in 1831. They owned Sunnyside Print works and also a number of quarries in the Rossendale area from which a lot of the local houses and mills were built. In 1884 Thomas Brooks became High Sheriff of Lancashire and was created Baron Crawshaw in 1892. They also had houses at Tarporley in Cheshire and Long Whatton, Leicestershire.

    In 1888 Thomas Brooks donated the land and £3,000 towards the building of St John the Evangelist (total cost approx. £12,000), the exterior of which is built of local stone with `York` stone dressing and the interior is red Rainhill sandstone. The Church which was consecrated 25th October 1892 is often referred to as "The Cathedral of Rossendale". The Church was originally served by the vicars of Goodshaw, but in 1899 it was created an independent Parish and remained so until 1984 when the benefice became a joint one with Goodshaw.


    The Explore
    Gone with @Lancashire lad & a none member, took a while to try find a way in, no luck but just before we were leaving we gave it one more try and found a secret special wacky way in ;)

    On with the photos


    Outside
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Why not?
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Lovely colour on this :p
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    Thanks for viewing :D.​
     
    GK_WAX and Coolboyslim like this.

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

  2. Coolboyslim

    Coolboyslim Mr Reality Hacker
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2014
    Messages:
    897
    Likes Received:
    424
    Really nice m8ty. Looks sweet there many thanks for everything kk m8ty. And thx for report m8ty and nice pics
     
    curiousity likes this.
  3. stranton

    stranton subterranean explorer
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2011
    Messages:
    1,311
    Likes Received:
    612
    ditch the HDR, its bloody awful :eek:
     
  4. Will Knot

    Will Knot 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    Likes Received:
    419
    Very nice indeed fella :thumb
     
Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in