1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - St Peter's - Stanley - Wakefield (pic heavy) - July 2011

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by mrex, Jul 6, 2011.

  1. mrex

    mrex 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    3
    Visited with Dissimulate and a non forum member

    History from:www.stpeters-stanley.org.uk


    The foundation stone was laid on l3th September, 1822 by Francis Maude of Hatfield Hall who was a barrister in Wakefield.
    The Church was opened nearly two years later on 6th September, 1824.

    [​IMG]

    On February 18th, 1911 a terrible fire occurred. The building was completely gutted and only the outer walls remained.
    The fire was noticed at about three o'clock and the fire brigade was sent for.
    Unfortunately the local fire-fighting facilities were very poor and it was some time before a suitable engine was sent for from Wakefield.

    [​IMG]

    By this time the Church was beyond hope and as the steam fire engine arrived the roof collapsed and an impressive burst of flame leapt upwards.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Fortunately brave church workers had been very busy trying to rescue as much as possible from the interior of the church -vestments, documents, church plate, especially the brass lectern, costing almost £100, which the congregation had presented to the Church as a memorial to Rev. Richard Burrell.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    It appears that the fire was caused by the pitch pine roof being ignited by heat from the boiler which was situated at the east end of the church in the vaults. [This heating system had replaced the open fireplaces which had been built with the church]. An iron pipe carried smoke from the boiler up through the timbered roof.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    A report of the event was contained in the Wakefield Express on Saturday, February 25th, 1911. It mentioned the names of a number of parishoners who were present during the fire when the rescue of church articles took place - Messrs. William Burton, Lewis Arundale, Freeman Hartley, William Parkinson, Henry Shepherd, organist, William Shepherd, clerk and verger, the vicar, Rev. J. B. Bolland and the railway station staff.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The church was largely looked upon by the people of Stanley as a memorial to their well-loved past vicar - Rev. Richard Burrell, who had done so very much for them in many ways. Unfortunately, it was very badly damaged and only insured for £6,400, though its cost in 1824 was almost twice that amount.

    [​IMG]

    The church authorities at Stanley wasted no time and a fund was opened for the rebuilding of the church. Correspondence began between them and Mr. W. Douglas Caroe, Architect to the Ecclesiastical Commission. The first meeting of the Building Committee was held on 9th March, 1911. Mr. Caroe under-took the work of designing and supervising the restoration of the church and Messrs.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Wilcock & Co., of Wolverhampton, undertook the building. They gave an estimate of £10,540 for the work, the final total cost being over £10,700. The central heating was constructed by the Leeds Marble Company.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The shell of the gutted church was used in the construction of the new building. The interior stonework was constructed of Ancaster stone, the exterior of Halifax stone. The arches and pillars were particularly lofty and had clerestory windows above.

    [​IMG]

    A large chancel was constructed at the East End to house the choir and high altar. The church was re-opened on July 5th, 1913.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The church had serious structural problems since it was rebuilt after the fire in 1911.
    The building again became in need of extensive repairs and because of this,
    it ceased being used as a church on the 2nd December 2001.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    it was put up for sale, and Wakefield Diocese is currently in talks with a developer who proposes to convert the building into flats.

    Any building plans would have to preserve the outside appearance of the church.

    Mr Ex
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in