1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - St Saviours Church, Bacup - December 2013

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by ViralEye, Dec 9, 2013.

  1. ViralEye

    ViralEye Drain Ninja
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2012
    Messages:
    256
    Likes Received:
    19
    St Saviours Church, Bacup - December 2013

    Visited with Kenni and Snake Oil

    The History - pinched from Snake Oil

    Although Methodist and Baptist meeting rooms had been established in Bacup as early as 1700, the nearest church was a three mile walk away at Newchurch. By 1790 however, the Church of St John the Evangelist had been constructed. With the consolidation of smaller settlements in the area, in 1837 St Johns became the Parish church and served the growing local community, together with an increasing number of buildings of other denominations. By the mid-1850's, this church had fallen into a state of disrepair and subsequently collapsed in 1871.

    John Holt, the owner and resident of Stubbylee Hall, was keen to provide for the spiritual needs of those who lived on his estate. However, he died in 1856 before his ambition could be realised. His son, James Maden Holt, frustrated by the slow progress of the repair of St John's, decided instead to pursue his fathers idea, financing not only a church for the Lee Mill area, but also its associated vicarage and a school.

    In the 1860's architect Edward Wyndham Tarn was engaged to design the church, construction of which was completed by 1864. It was consecrated on 23 January 1865. The Church has been in continuous use for religious purposes from its consecration until it was closed for worship in December 2007, when the parish was united with Holy Trinity, Tunstead.

    The Church of St Saviour is a substantial building, constructed from rock-faced sandstone quarried from the Holt estate in the Gothic style fashionable in the 1860's. It has a steeply pitched slate roof raised above clerestory windows and a very prominent tower at its north east corner, with a tall slate clad broach spire (approximately 45m to the top of its finial).

    Internally, the wide nave is separated from the side aisles by arcades of slender, polished red granite columns. At the west end, a timber gallery is supported by delicate cast-iron barley-sugar columns.
    Really gutted we couldn't make it up the bell tower

    Anyway, here are the pictures!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in