1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Tanfield Railway - Gateshead - January 2011

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by Horus, Jan 10, 2011.

  1. Horus

    Horus Butt Wipe
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2010
    Messages:
    516
    Likes Received:
    6
    Tanfield Railway

    Visited with: forsaken

    The Tanfield Railway was originally built to transport coal from the collieries of County Durham, to the staithes on the River Tyne, for onward transport in colliers (bulk coal carrying ships). The oldest part of the original Tanfield Railway, located to the north east of the present heritage line, in the Lobley Hill area, dated from 1647, and was in continuous use until final closure in 1964.

    The route and structures of the oldest section of the now preserved part of the line, between Sunniside and Causey, dates from 1725, and is thus claimed to be the World's oldest working railway. The Middleton Railway claims to be the oldest working railway, on the basis that it was the first railway granted powers under the first railway Act of Parliament in 1758. The Causey to East Tanfield section was built in 1839.

    The Marley Hill engine shed was built in 1854, and in use until 1970. The shed first housed a winding engine before the arrival of locomotives. The shed is thought to be the oldest engine shed in the world still used for its original function. Although the line to the shed closed in 1962, it remained in use servicing other colliery railway's locomotives in the area.

    Originally a wooden railed horse drawn wagonway, conversion to a conventional steel railed railway began in 1837, and by 1840 was complete as far as Tanfield Moor Colliery. In 1881 the railway was converted to steam locomotive operation, becoming part of the North Eastern Railway. Although still primarily a freight railway, it did carry some passengers. The East Tanfield Colliery closed in 1964, and the railway, by this time owned by the National Coal Board, was closed and the track lifted.


    No. 14 working at Dawdon Colliery near Seaham in 1965

    The building : Hawthorn Lesle Newcastle upon Tyne​


    No 14 is one of 151 locos built to the 16” cylindered, four wheeled tank loco designed introduced by Hawthorn Lesie in 1907. The first was delivered in 1908 and the last one in 1954, ten of the 151 were built to 5’6” gauge for use in India.

    75 locos were built by Hawthorn Lesie in Newcastle from 1908 to 1938, 76 locos were built by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns from 1938 to 1954, mostle in Newcastle but with some in Darlington. No 14 the sole Hawthron Leslie survivor, there are three preserved locos in England built by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorn in the 1950’s Some of the Indian locos were still at work recently.

    No 14 Hawthorn Lesie No.3056 was built for a stack order of September 1913, the customer order was received on January 1914 and it was finished on 22nd April 1914, It cost £1336 to build and was sold for £1530.

    The User: Lambton & Hetton Collieries and sucessors​


    No 14 was delivered in 1914 to Lambton & Hetton Collieries Ltd in County Durham, which in 1924 became Lambton, Hetton and Joicey Collieries Ltd. In 1947 the coal industry was nationalized and No 14 became part of the National Coal Board.
    At nationalization in 1947 No 14 was based at Hetton shed it remained on this section until closure in 1959, In 1960 it left the Lambton system and worked at coastal pits Vane Tempest, Seaham and Dawdon before returning to the Lambton Railway at philiadelphia for storage in 1968.

    Preservation.​


    No 14 was preserved by Beamish and arrived at Marley Hil shed, its first preservation home, In December 1972 It was moved to Bemish in 1974 for restoration and a periol of passenger train use at Rowley station before being statically displayed at Bearmish colliery, It returned to Marley Hill in September 2010 as part of the Tanfield Railway Collection.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Robert Stephenson and Hswthorns No.7796 of 1954 Central Electricity Generating Board No 21

    The engine worked at the newly built Stella South Power Station in Blaydon, on the site of the Blaydon Races, from 1954 until 1970 when she was replaced by diesel locomotives. Arrived at Marley Hill in 1973

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    No 6 ​


    This saddle-tank shunter was built by Hudswell Clarke & Co. Ltd. of Leeds in 1919 and carries works no. 1366. It spent it's entire working life in the iron and steel industries, mostly in Renishaw quarries.
    The locomotive is on short-term loan from Tanfield Railway.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    Unfortually thats all the History i can find on the selected trains, the others are hard to find.

    Random Pictures ​


    1.
    [​IMG]
    2.
    [​IMG]
    3.
    [​IMG]
    4.
    [​IMG]
    5.
    [​IMG]
    6.
    [​IMG]
    7.
    [​IMG]
    8.
    [​IMG]
    9.
    [​IMG]
    10.
    [​IMG]
    11.
    [​IMG]
    12.
    [​IMG]
    13.
    [​IMG]
    14.
    [​IMG]
    15.
    [​IMG]
    16.
    [​IMG]
    18.
    [​IMG]
    19.
    [​IMG]


    Hope you Enjoyed.
     
    #1 Horus, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in