1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - The Stocks Reservoir Railway - July 1977

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by Bovine, Aug 14, 2010.

  1. Bovine

    Bovine 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Oct 18, 2008
    Likes Received:
    To keep pace with a growing demand, the Fylde Water Board planned to build a reservoir on the River Hodder in the Forest of Bowland. Land was aquired before the First World War and construction started in the 1920's, officially opened in 1932.
    For moving men and materials, a 3 foot gauge railway was constructed between Tosside and the dam site above Slaidburn. This five mile long 'main line' threw off numerous branches to quarries and borrow pits, for fill, totalling another thirteen miles. Upon completion, the railway was dismantled and forgotten, but a chance pub conversation resulted in finding a branch that had not been lifted, 42 years after it was last used!
    Please enjoy some railway decay.

    A typical train

    A quarry, similar to the one discovered


    Remains of a crane


    A point frog


    Hanging rails

    A gap too far!
    #1 Bovine, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

  2. tomba

    tomba 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Sep 3, 2008
    Likes Received:
    Re: The Socks Reservoir Railway - July 1977

    Here we read "In the 1980s however, the line was sold off and removed by scrap metal merchants. A short section near the quarry entrance was inaccessible because of erosion by a stream and so remains there to this day."

    So, apart from the bits in the photos in the link above, there's nothing left.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in