real time web analytics
Report - - Ascott House Water & Sewage Treatment Works, Buckinghamshire : May 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ascott House Water & Sewage Treatment Works, Buckinghamshire : May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Ascott Water / Sewage Treatment Works

A few weeks ago, me and @dansgas1000 headed off to the Buckinghamshire area to do a few pins.
One of them he has already posted, which was a lovely, fairly modern Anglian Water pump house that he found. This one I found is far more vintage.

Situated very close Ascott House, there are two parts remaining. The first part we came across was a smaller derpy sewage treatment works. There isn't a huge amount to say about this part. It's from the mid 19th century and was in use until the early 1980s. The small treatment house survives along with three filter or settling tanks, a pump and winding gear connected to two circular tanks. The surviving fittings include installations by Thomas Crapper and by Farmer & Sons of Salford.

The second part is far more interesting. A short walk across the fields to it. It's situated in a small section of woodland called Chucksell's Spinney.
Again, constructed in the mid 19th century and was in use until the estate was connected to the mains supply.
The water pumping and treatment house still has many of the original internal fittings. A stunning Crossley gas engine is still in place. It originally had two fly wheels which powered the pumps and machinery, with water being pumped from an internal well, through water softening vessels and up to a large storage tank in the tower at the kennels. The original gas engine was probably replaced by an electric motor, which has been removed and only the foundations where it would've been mounted remain.

It was surprising to see that it was quite well graffitied up. The roof of the main water works building is hanging on by a thread. I tried my best with these photos, by the time we got to this one, the sun was setting.
Not the most interesting place ever, I probably wouldn’t have posted it if the beautiful Crossley engine wasn’t inside, but in the end I came to quite like it!

I'll start with the more interesting water treatment works.

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

A mill wheel set into the ground

IMG_0106.jpg

The internal well

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0140-HDR.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Through into the back room

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Nice brickwork on the outside

IMG_0155.jpg

View of the front of the building

IMG_0096.jpg

The Sewage Treatment Works

IMG_0090.jpg

Settling tanks (which I fell into, as I wasn't paying attention)

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

The site on an old OS map

Capture.PNG

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Came out nice mate. I really liked this one. I loved the rustic feel to it all. Was a shame about the graffiti though.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
This is nice. Lovely images. That brickwork is very cool. Great little place tucked away there.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
These came out great! Was quite hard to photograph due to the lighting, it started getting dark in there quickly. That Crossley engine was lovely and was a nice surprise.