real time web analytics
General - - Battersea Power Station - Pictures and Stories... | Industrial Sites | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Battersea Power Station - Pictures and Stories...

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
The nights at BPS were pretty much unbeatable, ridiculously iconic place and just surreal to experience.

Must have spent maybe 10 nights there over a few months in the summer of 2013, with all manner of people - each time we saw something different and managed to come up with some pretty mad/terrifying ways of getting around the building.

I will certainly have to get down there at some point to have a good look around the end result.

A few photos below that I posted on Instagram the other day.

_DSC0292.jpg

_DSC0085.jpg

_DSC0064.jpg

_DSC0101.jpg

_DSC0126-1.jpg

One of the best bits was finding the room full of drawings, including those from the failed 80's theme park development. Much time was spent rifling through them and bagging some one of a kind souvenirs.

We also found a filing cabinet jam packed with slides of photographs taken during the aforementioned theme park development. At an incredibly slow pace I've been scanning in the ones I collected up, the results can be found at Home - Battersea Power Station - not much to see currently, but I'll get it finished eventually.

Naturally, if anyone else has some of the goods and wouldn't mind letting me borrow them for scanning that would be appreciated.

Much love to the people that I spent time with there, memories will last forever!
I’d forgotten how many times you went that summer

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
"Cathedral Of Electrons"

Where to start..

Battersea, West Park, N.G.T.E [Pyestock], 3 sites that defined the UK exploring scene long before present day goons came along myself included.

This place for me tops it though, although I had a considerable liking to Pyestock, I'd never set foot in West Park as frankly I've never been a massive fan of soggy Hospitals.

There isn't many that haven't had fails/fun and games here, they were really on it back in the day, so much so numerous ways in were used; via the railway, through the tunnels and so on.

The classic route was via the no mans land, which was literally that, they knew it as well. Spent many a night hiding behind the pile of rubble where the gas turbines once resided waiting for that gamble of a run.

You'll have to make do with a later shot, as taking pics at this point back then wasn't an option.

1.jpg

Once inside it's like where now ?

It was largely stripped, barely lit with only the odd bit of 110v lighting in places. You had to climb the beams up to the gantries to even get to anything useful, it was proper sketchy.

By the time I got around to making an effort here, there was plenty of pics online, obv. the 'A' side control room was the money shot, getting to it was a right ball ache.

Directors Entrance

6.jpg

Lift

7.jpg

Shite phone pic- soz

'A' Side Control Room

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Annoyingly, I had a few failed trips here before managing to see it properly due to security and running out of time faffing about, fairly sure I wasn't alone on that score.

The next target was the elusive 'B' Switch/Control room, I'd seen the pics and it was probably 2 visits or more before managing to find it clambering about covered in pigeon shit.

It was nice and shiny, with some age old switch gear, however it lacked a certain charm the 'A' side had to offer.

So yeah bit of a pain finding a way into this one, certainly had plenty of exercise up and down stairs and climbing about stuff that led to nowhere :D

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

I believe it's now some poncy cocktail bar ? I've seen a few pics online, I imagine the price list reflects the billions they have spent on the place :rolleyes:

Now then, which one of these is the Kronenbourg tap :D

11.jpg

Another quirk here was the white room, basically a shit show apartment mock up to promote it's future to the wealthy :coat

Consumed a few CANS in here on various trips once we worked out the P.I.R's no longer worked.

12.jpg

Rooftop scenes, I mean every man and his dog has this shot so why not.

13.jpg

Same with the chimney's, and no doubt the reason the building is so iconic. I'm not a fan of concrete, but these were a thing of beauty, new ones although nice, can get in the bin!

14.jpg

I used to enjoy climbing up the wash tower and standing next to the South West chimney at every available opportunity and stare across the City.

My next favourite subject was next door, the long since demolished No.7 Gas Holder at Nine Elms. This was another tough number to eventually crack.

I enjoyed sitting on top of the vent staring over at the Power Station, until unbeknownst to me, my 4 gas somehow fell out of my camera bag on top of the thing as I'd been draining earlier that evening.

I'd since had to make numerous trips and provide a Police statement over at Wandsworth station before I got the bloody thing back, suffice to say National Grid weren't too impressed when I tried to explain how it came to be in the first place.

15.jpg

I knew I'd never be done with this place though, ever since my good friend Stepping Lightly climbed the chimney back in 2008 he used to wind up at every opportunity about getting up there. Yeah rite!

It was truly something that was beyond my reach in them days as I wasn't that proficient with rope work. But you know every time I visited the place or passed by when in London it used to play on my mind. That itch you just can't scratch.

By this point I'd considered it too late to pull off such a stunt as preliminary work had started on site, there was now a whole load more cameras/motion sensors and multiple dog patrols about the place to deter the casual derper.

I'd normally do a bit more homework on the situation but as it happened Keitei was leaving the country in a few days so we had to literally pack a ridiculous amount of climbing gear (as an in-case) and crack on, despite not needing the majority of it in the end :banghead

What a faff lugging all that crap and about 200 meters of rope through the site and up the scaffolding to the base of the chimney. Never again!

Wouldn't mind the scaffold setup had now been reduced by several meters losing us vital time on the initial ascent.

Without further a do, Keitei, GAJ and myself rocked up late one evening only to find a full on laser light show at the station and all 4 chimneys lit up like an Xmas tree, WTF!

Turns out it was in preparation for some promotional show or whatever, this was far from ideal, but it was now or never and we were fully prepared to take the risk.

GAJ was insistent on leading the climb, how he wasn't spotted I'll never know. At this point the chimney was also fitted with a fall arrest ladder, and if the Police chopper had shown up I contemplated shooting up that as a last resort, rather than go home empty handed.

It was now silly o'clock and Keitei decided to have a nap on the wash tower, it wasn't long before I nodded in and out also. Eventually from the rope it appeared GAJ was up, Keitei opted for the ladder and I literally fell asleep only to be woken again by the whiff of the Thames rolling in.

3a.jpg

I had no energy by this point to commit and really wanted to go to bed, if it wasn't for Keitei I'd have gladly slept through the lot of it.

Anyway it was my turn, I gave my lazy bones a shake and clipped on. It was ridiculously exposed and so bait, I mean man in black against a white chimney ffs! All the school boy errors eh.

Luckily I had the foresight to un-clip the rope on the way up ready to rig a pull through to get off the bloody thing fast once done, good job I did as half way up the dog handler decided to show an un-nerving interest around the bottom of the tower.

I managed to swing round the other side long enough to get out of sight, I mean who looks up anyway.

From memory of my ancient GoPro footage it took my about 24 mins to ascend, including a brief rest on the final capping ring and the evading security saga. Not bad for an old fart lol.

I have to say, It was something else stood up there and something I really didn't think I'd get around to doing before it was too late or ever for that matter. Sure there are new chimneys and a staircase now, but nah, maybe I'll take the lift one day and reminisce.

Below is my final ascent before the last capping ring, Keitei grabbing me this epic shot. Note school boy error no.2; GoPro flashing away like an Xmas decoration :face

16.jpg

Traversing the last section un-clipped with age old eye bolts disintegrating and hauling my sorry arse up was something I wouldn't repeat in a hurry.

Once up I spent what seemed like an age taking it all in, I really did have to pinch myself, and how the hell we made it up and back down without alerting the authorities I'll never know.

We then proceeded to mooch about the experimental rig which had been installed to essentially pull the chimney down from top to bottom. @The Lone Ranger will be along someday to enlighten people about his official experiences here ;)

Managed to get this interesting shot whilst inspecting the inside of the chimney as you do.

I remember posting this up years ago and someone asked me which drain it was :rofl

17.jpg

We were now on borrowed time, it was around 5am and not long before sunrise, time to re-rig the rope and abseil off into the morning.

18.jpg

My experiences of Battersea Power Station will never leave me, and I'm sure that sentiment is the same for many, quite a unique 'explore' and never easy.

I'll make my way over to Battersea shopping center sometime for an up-to-date m00ch once the tourists calm down for a poncy drink over on 'B' side, that or I'll wait for a spoons to open here and enjoy a 1664 or three.

Finally I'd like to acknowledge a few people, as in some capacity this wouldn't have been possible without them..

Stepping Lightly for the inspiration and the relentless taunting, also his time and patience all those years ago teaching me rope skills and loaning kit; much of which I still have :p

Same goes for Userscott, Bigjobs, AndyJ (R.I.P) & The Lone Ranger who have all spent time back in the day teaching me skills and lending me kit ♥

Now lets see some more pics :popcorn

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
16.jpg

Traversing the last section un-clipped with age old eye bolts disintegrating and hauling my sorry arse up was something I wouldn't repeat in a hurry.

Once up I spent what seemed like an age taking it all in, I really did have to pinch myself, and how the hell we made it up and back down without alerting the authorities I'll never know.

We then proceeded to mooch about the experimental rig which had been installed to essentially pull the chimney down from top to bottom. @The Lone Ranger will be along someday to enlighten people about his official experiences here ;)

Managed to get this interesting shot whilst inspecting the inside of the chimney as you do.

I remember posting this up years ago and someone asked me which drain it was :rofl

17.jpg

That's the money shot alright.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Battersea is certainly one of the most significant urban explores of all time, personally I would rate it well into my top 5 experiences in this game and I think you would find it hard to find another person who visited that wouldn't agree.. A station of two halves the A side was built in the early 1930s and set the benchmark for art deco industry. The B side was delayed by the war and wasn't actually finished until 1955 by which time a more modernist style was creeping in. The A sides closure started in 1975 and B side followed by 1983. Over the years many failed attempts at redevelopment had left what on the face of it was little more then a shell but dig a little deeper and there was plenty still left to see even if the turbines and boilers (and even the roof) were long gone.

My first recollection of Battersea hitting the exploring scene must have been JD and Stoops roof top explore of 2005 appearing on their legendary Sub Urban site.. A year later not only had this explore been emulated by a number of explorers people had started to push far deeper into what was hidden away under lock and key. OT and Stumpy's twin reports from A followed by B control rooms today would have resulted in a flurry of copy cat explores but back then I think the community was so overwhelmed with the weekly posts from new and exciting places only a handful of people followed and most got swept along to the next big thing and it was almost forgotten. Fast forward a year or so however and the legend was resurrected thanks to Downfallen and Palace Fans efforts. These two had been busting out all sorts of epic across the city and had the photography skills to match. Again this triggered another mini tourist season but before long the reports stopped again.

My personal story starts in spring 2008, a bit late to the party but 2008 was my year of going round all the epic of yesteryear making sure i saw (what was left at least) for myself. Id recently visited Millennium Mills with a new explorer called Dmax and it turned out his next project was conquering the power station. He had given me a few pointers and I managed to stop off on my way somewhere else one night to try my luck. Id very much underestimated the place i think. I hopped the fence at the legendry phone box. Jogged across the the legendary skip in the middle of no mans land.. Pause. Catch my breath. Look around for any signs of life then quickly bolt out again towards the station. Reaching the perimeter of Heras fence i vaulted the first layer with ease and full of confidence went straight for the second only to come awkwardly crashing down on my ankle. I literally crawled my way into what remained of the boiler house and collapsed in a heap in a dark corner for what felt like an hour or more waiting for the pain to subside. I snapped the one photo before plucking up the stamina to drag myself back over two layers of fence 100 yards of open ground and a hording one legged..

Img_2847mod.jpg

The second trip was more of a success. Legendary in fact. Myself and one of my local exploring friends got the train down with the intention of an all nighter doing a few bits in the city. Same route in as before but far more successful, our target was the B side control room. Dmax had told us about some stairs and a loose board but not a lot more. Thought it would be simple. It wasn't. We spent the next 3 or 4 hours just looking for it. The B side although stripped still had all its floors and most of its rooms. Not knowing really where to look we had totally overshot the control room and ended up roaming about the various floors and even roof space checking this door and that. Thing is although at the time it seemed frustrating it was a blessing is disguise really as some rooms we made it into that night would never be seen open again. The best example of this was probably a door that took us out on the the turbine hall crane and right up close and personal with the stations clock. Nearly everything we saw in there hadn't really featured on prior reports. I guess when faced with 2 epic control rooms people just hadn't bothered with the photos and im glad they didn't as it really transformed our night from a touristy box ticking exercise to a proper explore in its own right.

Img_2941mod.jpg

Img_2932mod.jpg

Img_2964mod.jpg

Img_2981mod.jpg

Eventually we found the control room and gained access in the usual way. Amazing yes but we'd seen it all before. We would stumble on the real treat of the night on the way out! Coming back down the stairs to ground level, still in exploring mode we had a poke around in some dark rooms only to be confronted with what can only be described as a trapdoor to epic! A metal hatch in the middle of the floor simply marked with 'Cable Tunnel A+B Access'.. Now I think the tunnels had probably been at least discussed before that time but again id seen nothing of them online and they were not something that id even remotely considered looking for. It was pure chance that we stumbled across the hatch and that for some reason it wasn't locked! We descended into the bowls of the station, made two trips across the Thames and back and popped out two hours later to find daylight and the prospect of a dodgy escape back across that no mans land in full view. Thankfully it went ok and we slept off the remaining hour before the tube started running again on the grass verge opposite the fence.

pano1.jpg

Img_2985mod.jpg

Img_3091mod.jpg

Img_3081mod.jpg

After our successes in the B side we didn't waste any time going back to look at A However as we would find out this wasn't as simple and there was arguably a lot less to actually explore. After skirting round the ground floor we didn't really get anywhere. The A side was basically just a lattice work of girders with the odd item of interest left suspended and accessed via various scaffold stair and walkways strung where floors once were. We knew where the control room was this time because it couldn't really be anywhere else. The rest was just empty space. After a while of trying eventually we came up with a plan. We found a stray 20ft lattice work scaffold beam and managed to lean it up outside the front of the station so i could climb up to a first floor window above the directors entrance and get in on the only remaining stairwell. Its a wonder we didn't get seen or fall to our deaths but once inside i managed to open up the directors doors from the inside, remove the ladder and lock ourselves in for the night..
Img_3236mod.jpg

Img_3071mod.jpg

Img_3227mod.jpg

Obviously we proceeded to the main event but frustratingly it was locked and bolted tight. I remember now the feeling of walking across the scaffold walkway and catching sight of the door with what must have been the remains of 10 or more hasps, some small some big, all broken apart from the 1 giant one that was now keeping the doors shut. It was so loose you could push the doors apart and see the room within but alas there was no way it was coming off and try as we might we could find no way around. We settled for the roof and tame version of the chimney climb before making our escape back out the directors doors leaving them flapping behind us. Once over the Heras We thought we were away and lowered our guard a bit only to be greeted with the sight of two blokes in high viz walking along the fence line in the distance. They had seen us. We had seen them. We were both heading to the same spot. They sped up We sped up, we went right, then left. they went right then left. Inevitably we reached the fence.. and them.. and had no choice but to explain ourselves. Luckily tho they bought our crap that we definitely hadn't been inside and had just climbed the fence 5 mins ago to have a quick look.. We got marched to the gate house after being informed the police were on there way but they never showed, they just took our names and pushed us out the gate...

After having names taken etc that kind of put pay to any further exploring for the time being. It was still mid 2008 and back then the A control room was still a bit of a holy grail rather than the tourist derp it became so we didn't feel too aggrieved being denied it. This would all change through 2009 as London started to get hammered by competing 'crews' and of course Battersea was one of the destinations they just wouldn't leave alone. Towards the end of the year I got an invite to go back with Tucker and Urban Junkie.. They had been spending some considerable time there and had found there way into some B side offices that had been locked up on our initial visit. I don't have many photos from this trip but it ticked off both the B side roof and the offices full of maps, plans and general junk from the various failed attempts at redevelopment. Down side was the night before they had almost got caught in there after being seen flashing torches around so we were ultra careful and photos were basically pointless in the low light.

Img_3045mod.jpg

What the B side trip did do was rekindle my interest in seeing more of the place. We had made an entrance along the shore line this time. At low tide you could wade down from further up river and get up onto the jetty and former dock cranes. In itself this was a pretty cool explore so i checked the tide times and replicated the entrance again a few days later with Larey, yet anther explorer who was fairly green to the Battersea experience. This time we went solely for the A side, we knew people had been in recently and i felt sure we could replicate it but after hours of trying we just couldn't work out how. All sorts of climbing around and shimming up and down got us nowhere. I thought i could see a way but needed something to bridge the gap. We left empty handed, just about making it out before the tide turned and again returned a few days later for trip 6. This time i had a fool proof plan and a little helper, the fibrelite ladder! With an extendable pole i managed to hook the rope ladder onto the scaffold walkway that took you to the control room and climb up bypassing the directors stairs and the best bit... The door was wide open! We were in!

Img_3060mod.jpg

Img_3067mod.jpg

Obviously A control room is amazing, contender for best in the world let alone the country so finally getting in was pretty special but doing it entirely off our own backs rather than with some urban tour or PM walkthrough in a way that probably no one else ever did was even better. It was more or less mission complete..

Img_3209mod.jpg

Img_3217mod.jpg

Img_3140mod.jpg

Fast forward 4 years and the fate of the station had finally been decided. It was now a full on tourbus location really but still a special place. Dweeb had never seen control room A so I agreed to one last visit to take him in. In the 4 years previous at some point I had found out that i was right and our way we had spotted years back where we just needed something to bridge the gap was in fact the clowns pocket it looked like. A hole smashed in the concrete floor of the control room deck allowed access to the back of the control room where there was a sneaky back door.. I think it had remained undetected for years and post/previous explorers to us had now hidden up a ladder to bridge the gap to it so it was now a simple matter of climbing up onto the roof of the white room, leaning up said ladder and climbing up to the control room level. Such an easy solution when its there in front of you but so totally un-obvious even if you're prepared to spend a whole night looking.

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_3096.JPG

The last bit I ticked off was the white room. Tbh it had never really interested me much so id just never really bothered with it but still, its a legendary UE location born of rumours and hearsay that turned out to be some kind of crazy reality.. had to have a quick peek!

See you in the bar!

urban junky

South London…
28DL Full Member
Battersea is certainly one of the most significant urban explores of all time, personally I would rate it well into my top 5 experiences in this game and I think you would find it hard to find another person who visited that wouldn't agree.. A station of two halves the A side was built in the early 1930s and set the benchmark for art deco industry. The B side was delayed by the war and wasn't actually finished until 1955 by which time a more modernist style was creeping in. The A sides closure started in 1975 and B side followed by 1983. Over the years many failed attempts at redevelopment had left what on the face of it was little more then a shell but dig a little deeper and there was plenty still left to see even if the turbines and boilers (and even the roof) were long gone.

My first recollection of Battersea hitting the exploring scene must have been JD and Stoops roof top explore of 2005 appearing on their legendary Sub Urban site.. A year later not only had this explore been emulated by a number of explorers people had started to push far deeper into what was hidden away under lock and key. OT and Stumpy's twin reports from A followed by B control rooms today would have resulted in a flurry of copy cat explores but back then I think the community was so overwhelmed with the weekly posts from new and exciting places only a handful of people followed and most got swept along to the next big thing and it was almost forgotten. Fast forward a year or so however and the legend was resurrected thanks to Downfallen and Palace Fans efforts. These two had been busting out all sorts of epic across the city and had the photography skills to match. Again this triggered another mini tourist season but before long the reports stopped again.

My personal story starts in spring 2008, a bit late to the party but 2008 was my year of going round all the epic of yesteryear making sure i saw (what was left at least) for myself. Id recently visited Millennium Mills with a new explorer called Dmax and it turned out his next project was conquering the power station. He had given me a few pointers and I managed to stop off on my way somewhere else one night to try my luck. Id very much underestimated the place i think. I hopped the fence at the legendry phone box. Jogged across the the legendary skip in the middle of no mans land.. Pause. Catch my breath. Look around for any signs of life then quickly bolt out again towards the station. Reaching the perimeter of Heras fence i vaulted the first layer with ease and full of confidence went straight for the second only to come awkwardly crashing down on my ankle. I literally crawled my way into what remained of the boiler house and collapsed in a heap in a dark corner for what felt like an hour or more waiting for the pain to subside. I snapped the one photo before plucking up the stamina to drag myself back over two layers of fence 100 yards of open ground and a hording one legged..

Img_2847mod.jpg

The second trip was more of a success. Legendary in fact. Myself and one of my local exploring friends got the train down with the intention of an all nighter doing a few bits in the city. Same route in as before but far more successful, our target was the B side control room. Dmax had told us about some stairs and a loose board but not a lot more. Thought it would be simple. It wasn't. We spent the next 3 or 4 hours just looking for it. The B side although stripped still had all its floors and most of its rooms. Not knowing really where to look we had totally overshot the control room and ended up roaming about the various floors and even roof space checking this door and that. Thing is although at the time it seemed frustrating it was a blessing is disguise really as some rooms we made it into that night would never be seen open again. The best example of this was probably a door that took us out on the the turbine hall crane and right up close and personal with the stations clock. Nearly everything we saw in there hadn't really featured on prior reports. I guess when faced with 2 epic control rooms people just hadn't bothered with the photos and im glad they didn't as it really transformed our night from a touristy box ticking exercise to a proper explore in its own right.

Img_2941mod.jpg

Img_2932mod.jpg

Img_2964mod.jpg

Img_2981mod.jpg

Eventually we found the control room and gained access in the usual way. Amazing yes but we'd seen it all before. We would stumble on the real treat of the night on the way out! Coming back down the stairs to ground level, still in exploring mode we had a poke around in some dark rooms only to be confronted with what can only be described as a trapdoor to epic! A metal hatch in the middle of the floor simply marked with 'Cable Tunnel A+B Access'.. Now I think the tunnels had probably been at least discussed before that time but again id seen nothing of them online and they were not something that id even remotely considered looking for. It was pure chance that we stumbled across the hatch and that for some reason it wasn't locked! We descended into the bowls of the station, made two trips across the Thames and back and popped out two hours later to find daylight and the prospect of a dodgy escape back across that no mans land in full view. Thankfully it went ok and we slept off the remaining hour before the tube started running again on the grass verge opposite the fence.

pano1.jpg

Img_2985mod.jpg

Img_3091mod.jpg

Img_3081mod.jpg

After our successes in the B side we didn't waste any time going back to look at A However as we would find out this wasn't as simple and there was arguably a lot less to actually explore. After skirting round the ground floor we didn't really get anywhere. The A side was basically just a lattice work of girders with the odd item of interest left suspended and accessed via various scaffold stair and walkways strung where floors once were. We knew where the control room was this time because it couldn't really be anywhere else. The rest was just empty space. After a while of trying eventually we came up with a plan. We found a stray 20ft lattice work scaffold beam and managed to lean it up outside the front of the station so i could climb up to a first floor window above the directors entrance and get in on the only remaining stairwell. Its a wonder we didn't get seen or fall to our deaths but once inside i managed to open up the directors doors from the inside, remove the ladder and lock ourselves in for the night..
Img_3236mod.jpg

Img_3071mod.jpg

Img_3227mod.jpg

Obviously we proceeded to the main event but frustratingly it was locked and bolted tight. I remember now the feeling of walking across the scaffold walkway and catching sight of the door with what must have been the remains of 10 or more hasps, some small some big, all broken apart from the 1 giant one that was now keeping the doors shut. It was so loose you could push the doors apart and see the room within but alas there was no way it was coming off and try as we might we could find no way around. We settled for the roof and tame version of the chimney climb before making our escape back out the directors doors leaving them flapping behind us. Once over the Heras We thought we were away and lowered our guard a bit only to be greeted with the sight of two blokes in high viz walking along the fence line in the distance. They had seen us. We had seen them. We were both heading to the same spot. They sped up We sped up, we went right, then left. they went right then left. Inevitably we reached the fence.. and them.. and had no choice but to explain ourselves. Luckily tho they bought our crap that we definitely hadn't been inside and had just climbed the fence 5 mins ago to have a quick look.. We got marched to the gate house after being informed the police were on there way but they never showed, they just took our names and pushed us out the gate...

After having names taken etc that kind of put pay to any further exploring for the time being. It was still mid 2008 and back then the A control room was still a bit of a holy grail rather than the tourist derp it became so we didn't feel too aggrieved being denied it. This would all change through 2009 as London started to get hammered by competing 'crews' and of course Battersea was one of the destinations they just wouldn't leave alone. Towards the end of the year I got an invite to go back with Tucker and Urban Junkie.. They had been spending some considerable time there and had found there way into some B side offices that had been locked up on our initial visit. I don't have many photos from this trip but it ticked off both the B side roof and the offices full of maps, plans and general junk from the various failed attempts at redevelopment. Down side was the night before they had almost got caught in there after being seen flashing torches around so we were ultra careful and photos were basically pointless in the low light.

Img_3045mod.jpg

What the B side trip did do was rekindle my interest in seeing more of the place. We had made an entrance along the shore line this time. At low tide you could wade down from further up river and get up onto the jetty and former dock cranes. In itself this was a pretty cool explore so i checked the tide times and replicated the entrance again a few days later with Larey, yet anther explorer who was fairly green to the Battersea experience. This time we went solely for the A side, we knew people had been in recently and i felt sure we could replicate it but after hours of trying we just couldn't work out how. All sorts of climbing around and shimming up and down got us nowhere. I thought i could see a way but needed something to bridge the gap. We left empty handed, just about making it out before the tide turned and again returned a few days later for trip 6. This time i had a fool proof plan and a little helper, the fibrelite ladder! With an extendable pole i managed to hook the rope ladder onto the scaffold walkway that took you to the control room and climb up bypassing the directors stairs and the best bit... The door was wide open! We were in!

Img_3060mod.jpg

Img_3067mod.jpg

Obviously A control room is amazing, contender for best in the world let alone the country so finally getting in was pretty special but doing it entirely off our own backs rather than with some urban tour or PM walkthrough in a way that probably no one else ever did was even better. It was more or less mission complete..

Img_3209mod.jpg

Img_3217mod.jpg

Img_3140mod.jpg

Fast forward 4 years and the fate of the station had finally been decided. It was now a full on tourbus location really but still a special place. Dweeb had never seen control room A so I agreed to one last visit to take him in. In the 4 years previous at some point I had found out that i was right and our way we had spotted years back where we just needed something to bridge the gap was in fact the clowns pocket it looked like. A hole smashed in the concrete floor of the control room deck allowed access to the back of the control room where there was a sneaky back door.. I think it had remained undetected for years and post/previous explorers to us had now hidden up a ladder to bridge the gap to it so it was now a simple matter of climbing up onto the roof of the white room, leaning up said ladder and climbing up to the control room level. Such an easy solution when its there in front of you but so totally un-obvious even if you're prepared to spend a whole night looking.

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_3096.JPG

The last bit I ticked off was the white room. Tbh it had never really interested me much so id just never really bothered with it but still, its a legendary UE location born of rumours and hearsay that turned out to be some kind of crazy reality.. had to have a quick peek!

See you in the bar!
Speed!!

I’m supposed to be drifting off to sleep now ready for an early start..

Reading that brings back some memories of some mad nights, Tucker and I nearly got rumbled quite a few time.

To be Fair when we first started going we had only been round west park a few times nothing of that scale .. right don’t get me started.

lovely stuff..

Let me know when your going and I will buy you a pint :sleep

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
@Speed , that was a great write-up mate, thanks. It brought back some great memories of the place and also reminded me of some details I'd forgot, like the telephone box, and the ladder.

Who has read this thread (Total: 242) View details