real time web analytics
Report - - Beacon Ritz Bingo Hall-Ilkeston-March 2023. | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Beacon Ritz Bingo Hall-Ilkeston-March 2023.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shutterfilm35

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
The Ritz Cinema was constructed for Ritz (Ilkeston) Ltd., independent exhibitors, and was designed in a modern Art Deco style by Nottingham-based architect Reginald W.G. Cooper. This was Cooper’s seventh cinema design project. The cinema opened on May 20, 1938, with Barbara Stanwick’s “Stella Dallas” and British film star Victor McLaglen, invited by his nephew J.V. McLaglen, who was the Ritz Cinema’s first manager, as a guest of honor.

The cinema’s unique style closely resembled the Odeon theaters that were being built during that period. The main facade was adorned with light biscuit-colored Doulton ‘carraware’ tiles and had a slender fin-tower feature. The auditorium provided seating for 922 in the stalls and 480 in the circle. However, the narrow proscenium did not adapt well for screening CinemaScope films, and the top masking had to be lowered to create a widescreen effect in later years.

For most of its existence, the S. Graham Circuit of Nottingham ran the Ritz Cinema, which closed on June 8, 1958, with a re-issue presentation of Vincent Price’s “House of Wax.” The building was transformed into a bingo club, which still operates independently to this day. The Ritz Cinema is a Grade II Listed structure.

Explore
After a day of fails and being in the Derbyshire area I thought I’d take a look at the Beacon Ritz. I wasn’t holding out much hope due to the buildings location and it being mid afternoon by the time I arrived. There were plenty of people around but I seemed to go unnoticed with my camera and tripod and access was fairly simple. It was extremely dark inside but done the best I could, navigating my tripod between pigeon poo.

Photos

DSCF0719.jpeg

DSCF0732.jpeg

DSCF0721.jpeg

DSCF0722.jpeg

DSCF0717.jpeg

DSCF0718.jpeg

DSCF0730.jpeg

DSCF0711.jpeg

DSCF0713.jpeg

DSCF0709.jpeg

DSCF0704.jpeg

DSCF0705.jpeg

DSCF0715.jpeg

DSCF0728.jpeg

DSCF0726.jpeg

DSCF0706.jpeg

DSCF0708.jpeg

DSCF0731.jpeg

DSCF0733.jpeg

After all that I forgot to get a shot from the outside of the building.

Who has read this thread (Total: 162) View details