real time web analytics
Report - - Bletchley Park - Blocks D, G - July 2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bletchley Park - Blocks D, G - July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bollard

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

A brief summary as it's been done before.

Block G was built in 1943 as workspace for the increased number of staff at the Bletchley site. It comprises 32,709 sq ft of derelict buildings on a 2.73 acre site. These buildings formed part of the government's Code and Cipher School, housing skilled workers who dealt with the decoding of Enigma and cipher messages from the Germans.

Block D was originally planned for about 530 persons; by the war's end, some 700 were working here. Its main function was the vitally important one of breaking, deciphering and analysing German Enigma coded traffic.

The Explore

Block D was easy to access but very nice to photograph. Roof access was a bonus.

DSC_6760.NEF_HDR_1-01.jpeg

DSC_6782.NEF_HDR-01.jpeg

DSC_6788.NEF_HDR_1-01-01-01.jpeg

DSC_6776.NEF_HDR-01.jpeg

DSC_6685.NEF.jpg

True story: I forgot my tripod on my first visit so for the last photo used a money clip (which contained a couple of hundred quid) to prop up the lens. I completely forgot about this until I got home an realised I'd left it behind. I went back the next day and found it exactly in the same spot. Phew.

Block D was decidedly harder to access. Entry involved, sneaking, hiding in a bush from security and climbing. It was worth it. So much amazing stuff left behind. Fire damaged in parts but a real spectacle. Many of these photographs were taken in complete darkness. I visited after sun down and boarded windows make it pitch black in many places.

DSC_6830.NEF_HDR-01.jpeg

DSC_6847.NEF_HDR-02.jpeg

DSC_6871.NEF_HDR-01.jpeg

DSC_6874.NEF_HDR-01.jpeg

DSC_6883.NEF_HDR-01.jpeg

20200728_220622.jpg

20200728_221017.jpg

I took hundreds of photos. These are just a random few.

I understand access is much more challenging now but I really want to go back and see this all over again.

Who has read this thread (Total: 259) View details