real time web analytics
Report - - Burdale Tunnel, Wharram Percy, Feb 24 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Burdale Tunnel, Wharram Percy, Feb 24

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was up in North Yorkshire recently being shown a few locations, and this beauty of a tunnel was on the agenda. It's pretty standard as abandoned railway tunnels go, although it does have a very nice looking air vent, not as good as the ones in Kelmarsh and Oxendon though. The main appeal is what lies deep within...

I'll also throw a few shots of the chalk works in as it doesn't warrant a report of its own, but it is linked with the railway making it somewhat relevant here.

The History

The Malton Driffield Junction Railway (MDJR) was proposed as part of a route to create a Main Line between Newcastle and Hull. The route needed to pass under a hill between Burdale and Wharram with this being facilitated through the construction of the 1,767 yard Burdale Tunnel.

Work began on the tunnel in 1847 with work occurring from the southern portal and working faces from 4 construction shafts. Difficulties were encountered in the construction, with flooding and rock falls being a major problem resulting in only 150 yards having been dug after a year. The MDJR soon ran into financial difficulty with the company being on the brink of bankruptcy, resulting in work grinding to a halt.

The route was later resurrected at a more modest scale. The southern portal had already been built, with it being large enough for double track, but it only ever carried a single line. The bore shrinks 30 yards from the portal, but opens out again at numerous points along the length of the tunnel.

Four additional construction shafts were dug to expedite tunnel construction, each being 9ft in diameter with three being retained for ventilation. The tunnel was finally completed in 1853.

The line remained open to passengers until 1950, and remained operational until 1958 when it was closed. The portals were sealed three years later to prevent the public from using the tunnel.

In the late seventies a collapse occurred just beyond the second ventilation shaft. Another collapse in the mid eighties created a blockage to the south of the first, creating a sealed section in the middle. Source I'm using suggests water levels can reach 12ft after long periods of rain. This is either an understatement, or the levels were particularly bad on my visit.

Wharram Chalk Works

High quality chalk was extracted from the quarry adjacent to the site for use in agriculture and cement making. The site opened near the Wharram station on the Malton - Driffield line in 1916 with operations initially continuing until 1930. Chalk for cement making was taken by rail to the Casebourne & Co. cement works in Billingham.

After a few years of little activity, quarrying resumed at the site and continued until 1966 with chalk being taken away from the site by lorry after closure of the railway line.

The Explore

We approached the tunnel initially from the Wharram Percy end, which has the remains of a plate layers hut not far from the portal.
DSC03728.jpg

The trackbed is very moist here, and remains so all the way to the portal, making approach a bit of a pain.

The portal at this end of the tunnel is a plain brick affair. Presumably this is due to financial issues during construction, with this end being constructed as cheaply as possible. The other portal is a tad more ornate in construction.

We were surprised to find this end open, but you need to be a good climber to reach the access without a ladder, best not slip either or you're getting soaked in stagnant water and mud.

We sought out the nearest vent next (number 3 from the South Portal), encountering a hunt which I'm assuming was illegal on the other side of the valley in the process. An insane number of hounds went past us, and the leader of the hunt on the other side of the small valley definitely clocked us. We heard the rest coming up from behind, so ducked out of sight to avoid them.

We located the vent which has a lovely convenient ladder next to it, so climbed up for a gander. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was a mineshaft with the view down it... Water looks to be within around a foot of the base of the shaft.
DSC03765.jpg

DSC03766.jpg

Only grabbed a couple of quick shots unfortunately, as we heard quad bikes approaching from the direction the hunt went. Maybe they were looking for us, maybe they weren't, but we chose not to hang around, few blokes with cameras and some potential illegality aren't exactly a good combination.

Wandered down to the chalk works next, it's a shame there's no way up to the higher levels of the main building. Mostly just shells remaining, although there are the remains of the mechanisms for depositing chalk into railway wagons from the hoppers above either side of the remains of a little control room.

The kilns are in a pretty dire state too, there appears to be four, with one no longer even resembling a kiln. Very waterlogged in front of them, so didn't bother getting close. Didn't bother with the Quarry either as I grabbed a couple of quick shots of that with the drone before walking down from the car park.

The Silo by Drone -
dji_fly_20240224_132358_614_1708781114230_photo_optimized.jpg

The Quarry -
dji_fly_20240224_132430_616_1708781130268_photo_optimized.jpg

Interior of one of the remaining buildings -
DSC03842.jpg

Rail Bridge to the Silo -

DSC03875.jpg

Hopper Chute for wagon loading, these would drop 3 tons of chalk at a time into passing wagons -
DSC03865.jpg

The remains of the worst two Kilns -

DSC03879.jpg

Jumped in the car to drive to the South Portal, making a quick stop to look down shaft 1. I didn't grab any photos here though, and we didn't bother walking to number 2 as it's collapsed anyway. We parked as near to the tunnel we could and scrambled down into the valley, hoping it hadn't been sealed up by pesky farmers... We were in luck as it was also wide open, so in we went!

Immediately greeted with a healthy looking tunnel, but with a good enough torch, you can see the collapsed section in the distance.
DSC03900.jpg

Not far in, the tunnel lining narrows although it soon widens again, and you can see some soot accumulation where smoke would have been caught at the point where the brickwork changes.
DSC03928.jpg

These changes occur multiple times along the length of the tunnel. With the project being scaled back to a single line during construction, I would presume the wider sections were dug out during the initial works on the tunnel, with each wide section accounting for the working faces of the original construction shafts.

The tunnel is mostly soot free due to the level of water ingress. Makes for some lovely shots with the mix of colours.
DSC03938.jpg

There is a tablet on the left wall with the number 5 on it, looks like there would have been another number also, but this is long gone.
DSC03924.jpg

Curiously there are no refuges along the entire walkable length of the tunnel. There are numerous relics to be found, primarily bolts for track chairs, although there are a couple of sleeper remnants underneath some discarded hardwood sections that I'm assuming were discarded either after construction of the tunnel, or after some repair work.

Hardwood Sections -
DSC03954.jpg

Fish Plate -
DSC03926.jpg

Chair Bolts -
DSC03934.jpg

Insulator -
DSC03909.jpg

As you approach vent number 1, the collapse can be seen clearly in the distance -
DSC03957.jpg

Almost time for the collapse, but first we have air vent number 1 -
DSC03963.jpg

Certainly the deepest tunnel I've been in, which made it a lot easier to light
DSC03973.jpg

DSC03971.jpg

Was awesome to watch water droplets fall the length of the shaft in the torchlight.

Moved on to the collapse, traversing a particularly moist section to reach it.
DSC03976.jpg

You can see some sections of brick lining intact which have only partially come away from the walls, as well as more buried under the mounds of chalk.
DSC03985.jpg

Looking back towards the portal -
DSC04008.jpg

Looking North -
DSC04001.jpg

It was pretty disconcerting knowing that somewhere beyond what we could see was a wall of water being held back by one of the collpases. There are further layers of chalk starting to break away from the rock face, so there's bound to be further rock falls in the future.

Started to make our way back, finding a can of Skol dating from 1990 en route. Reminded my companions about the adverts for it from the 80s.

It was starting to get dark as we left the tunnel. We made the steep scramble back to the car and called it a day.

We headed back the next morning to reattempt the north side, but unfortunately we were inadequately equipped to explore it. Turns out the water is around 2ft deep by the portal, and it'll only get deeper as you head further in, so waders are a necessity. We didn't fancy swimming it 😂

Thanks for looking 👍🏻

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
I was up in North Yorkshire recently being shown a few locations, and this beauty of a tunnel was on the agenda. It's pretty standard as abandoned railway tunnels go, although it does have a very nice looking air vent, not as good as the ones in Kelmarsh and Oxendon though. The main appeal is what lies deep within...

I'll also throw a few shots of the chalk works in as it doesn't warrant a report of its own, but it is linked with the railway making it somewhat relevant here.

The History

The Malton Driffield Junction Railway (MDJR) was proposed as part of a route to create a Main Line between Newcastle and Hull. The route needed to pass under a hill between Burdale and Wharram with this being facilitated through the construction of the 1,767 yard Burdale Tunnel.

Work began on the tunnel in 1847 with work occurring from the southern portal and working faces from 4 construction shafts. Difficulties were encountered in the construction, with flooding and rock falls being a major problem resulting in only 150 yards having been dug after a year. The MDJR soon ran into financial difficulty with the company being on the brink of bankruptcy, resulting in work grinding to a halt.

The route was later resurrected at a more modest scale. The southern portal had already been built, with it being large enough for double track, but it only ever carried a single line. The bore shrinks 30 yards from the portal, but opens out again at numerous points along the length of the tunnel.

Four additional construction shafts were dug to expedite tunnel construction, each being 9ft in diameter with three being retained for ventilation. The tunnel was finally completed in 1853.

The line remained open to passengers until 1950, and remained operational until 1958 when it was closed. The portals were sealed three years later to prevent the public from using the tunnel.

In the late seventies a collapse occurred just beyond the second ventilation shaft. Another collapse in the mid eighties created a blockage to the south of the first, creating a sealed section in the middle. Source I'm using suggests water levels can reach 12ft after long periods of rain. This is either an understatement, or the levels were particularly bad on my visit.

Wharram Chalk Works

High quality chalk was extracted from the quarry adjacent to the site for use in agriculture and cement making. The site opened near the Wharram station on the Malton - Driffield line in 1916 with operations initially continuing until 1930. Chalk for cement making was taken by rail to the Casebourne & Co. cement works in Billingham.

After a few years of little activity, quarrying resumed at the site and continued until 1966 with chalk being taken away from the site by lorry after closure of the railway line.

The Explore

We approached the tunnel initially from the Wharram Percy end, which has the remains of a plate layers hut not far from the portal.
DSC03728.jpg

The trackbed is very moist here, and remains so all the way to the portal, making approach a bit of a pain.

The portal at this end of the tunnel is a plain brick affair. Presumably this is due to financial issues during construction, with this end being constructed as cheaply as possible. The other portal is a tad more ornate in construction.

We were surprised to find this end open, but you need to be a good climber to reach the access without a ladder, best not slip either or you're getting soaked in stagnant water and mud.

We sought out the nearest vent next (number 3 from the South Portal), encountering a hunt which I'm assuming was illegal on the other side of the valley in the process. An insane number of hounds went past us, and the leader of the hunt on the other side of the small valley definitely clocked us. We heard the rest coming up from behind, so ducked out of sight to avoid them.

We located the vent which has a lovely convenient ladder next to it, so climbed up for a gander. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was a mineshaft with the view down it... Water looks to be within around a foot of the base of the shaft.
DSC03765.jpg

DSC03766.jpg

Only grabbed a couple of quick shots unfortunately, as we heard quad bikes approaching from the direction the hunt went. Maybe they were looking for us, maybe they weren't, but we chose not to hang around, few blokes with cameras and some potential illegality aren't exactly a good combination.

Wandered down to the chalk works next, it's a shame there's no way up to the higher levels of the main building. Mostly just shells remaining, although there are the remains of the mechanisms for depositing chalk into railway wagons from the hoppers above either side of the remains of a little control room.

The kilns are in a pretty dire state too, there appears to be four, with one no longer even resembling a kiln. Very waterlogged in front of them, so didn't bother getting close. Didn't bother with the Quarry either as I grabbed a couple of quick shots of that with the drone before walking down from the car park.

The Silo by Drone -

The Quarry -

DSC03842.jpg

DSC03875.jpg

Hopper Chute for wagon loading, these would drop 3 tons of chalk at a time into passing wagons -
DSC03865.jpg

DSC03879.jpg

Jumped in the car to drive to the South Portal, making a quick stop to look down shaft 1. I didn't grab any photos here though, and we didn't bother walking to number 2 as it's collapsed anyway. We parked as near to the tunnel we could and scrambled down into the valley, hoping it hadn't been sealed up by pesky farmers... We were in luck as it was also wide open, so in we went!

Immediately greeted with a healthy looking tunnel, but with a good enough torch, you can see the collapsed section in the distance.
DSC03900.jpg

Not far in, the tunnel lining narrows although it soon widens again, and you can see some soot accumulation where smoke would have been caught at the point where the brickwork changes.
DSC03928.jpg

These changes occur multiple times along the length of the tunnel. With the project being scaled back to a single line during construction, I would presume the wider sections were dug out during the initial works on the tunnel, with each wide section accounting for the working faces of the original construction shafts.

The tunnel is mostly soot free due to the level of water ingress. Makes for some lovely shots with the mix of colours.
DSC03938.jpg

There is a tablet on the left wall with the number 5 on it, looks like there would have been another number also, but this is long gone.
DSC03924.jpg

Curiously there are no refuges along the entire walkable length of the tunnel. There are numerous relics to be found, primarily bolts for track chairs, although there are a couple of sleeper remnants underneath some discarded hardwood sections that I'm assuming were discarded either after construction of the tunnel, or after some repair work.

Hardwood Sections -
DSC03954.jpg

Fish Plate -
DSC03926.jpg

Chair Bolts -
DSC03934.jpg

Insulator -
DSC03909.jpg

As you approach vent number 1, the collapse can be seen clearly in the distance -
DSC03957.jpg

DSC03963.jpg

DSC03973.jpg

DSC03971.jpg

Was awesome to watch water droplets fall the length of the shaft in the torchlight.

DSC03976.jpg

You can see some sections of brick lining intact which have only partially come away from the walls, as well as more buried under the mounds of chalk.
DSC03985.jpg

DSC04008.jpg

Looking North -
DSC04001.jpg

It was pretty disconcerting knowing that somewhere beyond what we could see was a wall of water being held back by one of the collpases. There are further layers of chalk starting to break away from the rock face, so there's bound to be further rock falls in the future.

Started to make our way back, finding a can of Skol dating from 1990 en route. Reminded my companions about the adverts for it from the 80s.

It was starting to get dark as we left the tunnel. We made the steep scramble back to the car and called it a day.

We headed back the next morning to reattempt the north side, but unfortunately we were inadequately equipped to explore it. Turns out the water is around 2ft deep by the portal, and it'll only get deeper as you head further in, so waders are a necessity. We didn't fancy swimming it 😂

Thanks for looking 👍🏻
Love the photos and the report

I remember watching Martin Zero’s report on the place, desperately want to visit as I am convinced I can climb up the hopper, doesn’t seem too bad and could have something interesting left

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
I saw the silo for this back in 2014 when visiting the deserted village with my parents on holiday. Always thought it looked cool, at the time I assumed it was something from WW2. Good post and nice tunnels.

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
nice report m8
there's a collapse a third - 2 thirds of the way through the tunnel trapping the water inbetween,
i'm assuming you access via the stone twin portal as the red brick single portal was / is flooded,?

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice report m8
there's a collapse a third - 2 thirds of the way through the tunnel trapping the water inbetween,
i'm assuming you access via the stone twin portal as the red brick single portal was / is flooded,?
Yes, access from the southern portal. Northern portal is doable if it's still open, but the shaft is probably around 300m from the portal and the water level is up to the roof of the tunnel at that point. Was about 2ft deep at the portal and didn't look too bad up to the curve

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really great set of images them...

Love the photos and the report

I remember watching Martin Zero’s report on the place, desperately want to visit as I am convinced I can climb up the hopper, doesn’t seem too bad and could have something interesting left

I saw the silo for this back in 2014 when visiting the deserted village with my parents on holiday. Always thought it looked cool, at the time I assumed it was something from WW2. Good post and nice tunnels.

Very nice that, good to see some above ground stuff there too.

Great colours in that tunnel. Nice images.

love the pictures you took here!!

Belting that mate

Thanks all 👌🏻

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
Northern portal is doable if it's still open, but the shaft is probably around 300m from the portal and the water level is up to the roof of the tunnel at that point. Was about 2ft deep at the portal and didn't look too bad up to the curve
probably a collapse before the airshaft trapping the water behind

chaz13535

28DL Member
28DL Member

The History

Wharram Chalk Works

The Explore

DSC03728.jpg

DSC03765.jpg

DSC03766.jpg

The Silo by Drone -

The Quarry -

DSC03842.jpg

DSC03875.jpg

DSC03865.jpg

DSC03879.jpg

DSC03900.jpg

DSC03928.jpg

DSC03938.jpg

DSC03924.jpg

Hardwood Sections -
DSC03954.jpg

Fish Plate -
DSC03926.jpg

Chair Bolts -
DSC03934.jpg

Insulator -
DSC03909.jpg

DSC03957.jpg

DSC03963.jpg

DSC03973.jpg

DSC03971.jpg

DSC03976.jpg

DSC03985.jpg

DSC04008.jpg

Looking North -
DSC04001.jpg

Thanks for looking 👍🏻
I've just been in both sides and the North portal has now drained so its easy to get in, especially with the built in ladder on the other side aha. The North portal it's quite a bit longer and goes round a bend but there is a lot of dust in the air the deeper you get so dust masks advised.

Last edited: