real time web analytics
Report - - Camden Town Deep Level Shelter, London - June 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Camden Town Deep Level Shelter, London - June 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
It's been an absolute hot minute since this happened, but better late than never? 😬

map.jpg

Same idea as the other 7 Deep Level Shelters under London, a twin pair of 427m (ish) long tunnels built underneath existing tube stations from 1940-1942 by the Home Office to provide shelter capacity under the capital during World War 2.

Fast forward a few years, and in 1977 the shelter got used by the BBC as a backdrop for Doctor Who and his mates.

doctor_who.jpg

After that, document storage company Abbot Datastore at some point took on the lease of the facility and stacked it high with boxes of paperwork, tapes and who knows what else. It's somewhere after this that our visit comes in.

Monkey, Gabe, Extreme Ironing and myself met up at a local pub to discuss the plan of action. Trying to infiltrate a live set of tunnels like this was new to me, they'd previously all been disused and mostly uncared for, whereas this was supposedly a live secure storage facility. As a result I opted not to have a beer in the pub, instead thinking a focused mind would get my nerves through the experience. Big mistake.

Enter, electron ladder:

DSC_8022.jpg

But we'll come back to that later.

For now, we were in, and we pressed ahead cautiously not entirely knowing what we were doing.

DSC_8043.jpg

DSC_8029.jpg

The spiral stairs seemingly take forever to get to the bottom of the 30ish metre shaft, scabby peeling tunnel ring segments accompanying you the entire way. Having previously been in Clapham North DLS I was expecting an in-use shelter to be a bit less derpy. We turned the corner, gently pushed through a door and were greeted with rows of soggy, moulding boxes. Now, I'm no expert on document storage, but I'm pretty sure this ain't it.

DSC_8031.jpg

DSC_8033.jpg

There was a lovely old Ministry of War sign at the entrance to the shelter level, though.

DSC_8035.jpg

DSC_8037.jpg

DSC_8040.jpg

DSC_8041.jpg

Pushing through another door into one of the main tunnel ways, and things got nicer, a lot less soggy but still pretty mouldy in places.

DSC_8044.jpg

From here it was rows upon rows upon rows of former bunk beds, all piled high with all types of inane paperwork. We started perusing through a few of them but it was clear that whoever had sent these boxes off to storage was only doing it under legal obligation, there was nothing at all juicy.

DSC_8047.jpg

DSC_8051.jpg

DSC_8052.jpg

Aside from the bunks there wasn't much else to suggest it's former usage, no sign of original fixings and annoyingly, we didn't learn that the shelters originally had mercury arc rectifiers until after the trip, so didn't end up seeing those.

DSC_8053.jpg

But back then this was all fresh ground to us. I'd personally only seen Clapham North and Chancery Lane DLS previous to this, and as far as we were aware (at the time) no one had made it into Camden before.

DSC_8056.jpg

DSC_8057.jpg

DSC_8061.jpg

DSC_8062.jpg

DSC_8064.jpg

DSC_8067.jpg

DSC_8070.jpg

DSC_8073.jpg

Having had a fairly good poke around the tunnels we thought we'd likely outstayed our welcome and began the trudge back up the however-fucking-many steps it was up the shaft towards ground level.

DSC_8076.jpg

DSC_8079.jpg

And this is where things went awry slightly... Extreme Ironing was first back up the electron ladder to the ventilation conduit above, with me quickly learning on my ascent that there's definitely a way not to climb electrons. Tackling it head on like a solid ladder I ran into difficulty at the overhang, and with the ladder weighted on a rounded surface ran out of useful handholds, followed by strength. Before I knew it I was tumbling down towards the protruding pipework 4 metres below, bouncing off and gracefully landing on top of Gabe. I'm not sure if it's him or my kidneys to thank for not taking a full pelt hit to the floor, but a trip to A&E later and somehow I'd managed to miss my spine and not damage any organs. I'm pretty sure having those beers beforehand would have displaced my anxieties and led me up that ladder without issue. 😅

The next week was absolute agony, but was my motivation to learn SRT and be rid of electrons for good. (or so I thought)

ladder.jpg

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Enjoying these, looks a nice shelter that and a fun read. That fall looks nasty but could've been a lot worse! Am I right in saying you're supposed to hug the ladder and grip it from the other side?

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Cracker, these LDN missions are mega.

Lucky with that fall. I too am not a fan of electron ladders. Never minded them when I was younger but I tore a ligament on one getting out of Moel Fferna. Since then I think I’ve avoided them.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely set. Nice inclusion of the Dr Who snaps. When I first saw that electron, I thought sod that. You were so lucky, but unlucky too. looks painful.

sirjonnyp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice, I don't think I ever actually saw anyone's photos from this, but remember the drama that followed. Has there been a change in status here, or is just the nine years in between that means you're confortable putting them online now?

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
Nice, I don't think I ever actually saw anyone's photos from this, but remember the drama that followed. Has there been a change in status here, or is just the nine years in between that means you're confortable putting them online now?
It's empty again now, unsure if it's ahead of the redevelopment of Camden Town Station which was meant to be taking place, or purely coincidental.

I started off going through photos of Suboffender which spawned the other 3 reports, then realised I never posted this.

'lAdders' <3
I knew it wouldn't take long 😂