real time web analytics
Report - - Chilmark limestone mines - Wiltshire - May 2023 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chilmark limestone mines - Wiltshire - May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wanderingfool

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After 2 attempts of trying to find the entrance and wandering about all over the place (finding one entrance but being completely blocked off), I finally found an entrance on my 3rd visit which was about 5 minutes from where I was parking! I realised I'd been going in the complete wrong direction!

After getting to the entrance of the mines on a lovely warm day, I was greeted by the cold chill coming from inside and looking into total darkness...safe to say I was quite excited! I squeezed my way inside, got equipped with my torches and descended into the dark abyss, the total silence and darkness inside was truly amazing, I can't quite describe the feeling of it but I'm sure others who have been in mines will know what I mean.

I won't go into the history of the mines as all I'd be doing is reiterating what other people have probably already said, and I'd pretty much just be copying it from a Wikipedia page. I've seen there is another section of these mines, which apparently used to house the largest grow farm (weed) in the UK! I'll try and find that for another visit.

This is the first time I've taken pictures in such darkness, I had a head torch and a couple hand torches but with no tripod, so I apologise for the poor images! My breath was also causing distortion and blur in the images, so I'll get myself better equipped for next time!

I did happen to run into one of the search and rescue guys on my way out, and whilst he was friendly, he wasn't too pleased about me being inside. He did warn me that the section I entered is still actively used by them and also by police who regularly will have their dogs with them!

DSC_7099.JPG

DSC_7106.JPG

DSC_7114.JPG

DSC_7120.JPG

DSC_7122.JPG

DSC_7126.JPG

DSC_7127.JPG

DSC_7130.JPG

DSC_7135.JPG

DSC_7136.JPG

DSC_7138.JPG

DSC_7140.JPG

DSC_7145.JPG

DSC_7150.JPG

DSC_7156.JPG

DSC_7105.JPG

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks proper decent that! I failed to find access on my first attempt here, need to get back at some point and try again. The buildings near Fonthill made for a decent enough mooch though, so wasn't a wasted trip at least.

Doozer

Probably underground somewhere
Regular User
Good explore this one, when we did it you had soldiers in the field above so stealth mode was needed. Glad you found the entrance as it’s not an easy one to get into so we’ll done for that 👍

Wanderingfool

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks proper decent that! I failed to find access on my first attempt here, need to get back at some point and try again. The buildings near Fonthill made for a decent enough mooch though, so wasn't a wasted trip at least.
It's certainly worth trying to find it. I've heard there is section accessed via a ladder in a field somewhere, I'm planning to try and find that at a later date

Wanderingfool

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good explore this one, when we did it you had soldiers in the field above so stealth mode was needed. Glad you found the entrance as it’s not an easy one to get into so we’ll done for that 👍
Nice, really putting the stealth skills to test! That can make it more fun I find (I just like pretending I'm on some sort of espionage mission when I go exploring :D)

Doozer

Probably underground somewhere
Regular User
Nice, really putting the stealth skills to test! That can make it more fun I find (I just like pretending I'm on some sort of espionage mission when I go exploring :D)
It did the adrenaline pumping sneaking in and out but like you said that’s what makes it more fun!