real time web analytics
Report - - Coastal Defence Pillboxes & Tunnels - Spain (February 2024) | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Coastal Defence Pillboxes & Tunnels - Spain (February 2024)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RustyJohn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Another little gem literally within 5 walking minutes from home! This report is a continuation from this previous one:

Civil War Coastal Defence Bunkers - Spain (November 2022) | European and International Sites

Every morning when I walk my dog, I pass by this sight:

IMG_3169.JPG

I kept wondering if this would only be a pillbox or if there would be more to it... so I geared up and went for a look.

IMG_3133.JPG

I'm not the bravest dealing with heights so the scramble up the hill was a bit of a challenge, and at first I was a bit disappointed because the bunker seemed innaccessible, the firing hole was too small.
But taking a look around, I found a hole in the cliff face a bit further away.

IMG_3134.JPG

This led me to believe that yes, there would be more than just a pillbox... in we go!

IMG_3135.JPG

The pillbox itself was to small to be properly photographed, but turning to the other side... interesting stuff started to appear.

IMG_3140.JPG

It seems like a homeless person was using the entrance space at some point, but after the initial rubbish, the tunnel seemed to continue further into the cliff.

IMG_3143.JPG

And on we go...

IMG_3144.JPG

IMG_3146.JPG

After this first drift and a turn to the left, I came across what would have been the personnel entrances, all collapsed or filled in now.

IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

The explore didn't end here though, as there was even another branch of tunnel leading somewhere else.

IMG_3151.JPG

Then I came across something I didn't expect... an inclined shaft inside a bunker? What for?

IMG_3155.JPG

I was about to chicken out on going down since it was quite slippery with all the sand and crumbly rock, but I did it anyways. I couldn't see it from the top, but this 'inclined shaft' turned out to be a staircase, just almost fully covered in sand.

IMG_3160.JPG

This staircase led me to another part of the complex with another opening to the outside.

IMG_3162.JPG

Maybe I didn't capture it properly, but I came across a really cool space. This open gate let all the sun in, and the room looked like a natural cave with a sandy floor. Somebody had made a little chill-out spot a few years ago by the remains I saw there. I'm honestly thinking about cleaning it up myself, putting in a padlock and having my private bunker-man-cave...!

IMG_3164.JPG

This room is also the antechamber for a second pillbox overlooking the town.

IMG_3165.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

All in all a fulfilling little explore, see you on the next one!