real time web analytics
Report - - George Henry Lee Building, Liverpool - November 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - George Henry Lee Building, Liverpool - November 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
November 2023

The Visit
Together with @stranton and @coolboyslim, I had the opportunity to explore the George Henry Lee Building, situated near Williamson Square in the heart of the city. This magnificent structure has been providing shoppers with an impressive 14,000 square metres of retail space spread across nine floors for over a century and a half. The building's towering presence dominates the surrounding streets, capturing the attention of all who pass by.

Our adventure within the building was nothing short of captivating. We found ourselves meandering through a labyrinth of corridors and floors, losing track of time as we discovered new surprises at every turn. It seemed as though the building's vastness was never-ending, with each twist and bend leading us deeper into its enchanting depths.

As we explored, the lively sounds of the bustling streets and the cheerful atmosphere of the nearby Christmas market accompanied us, creating a vibrant backdrop to our exploration. The energy of the city permeated the air, adding an extra layer of excitement to our experience.

The History
In 1853, George Henry Lee and his brother, Henry, embarked on their entrepreneurial journey by opening a Bonnet warehouse on Basnett Street in Liverpool. Their father, Henry Boswell Lee, had already established a renowned Silk business in the city, and the brothers had learned the trade from him. As the business flourished, it evolved into a department store, offering an exclusive shopping experience where Shop Walkers guided customers to their desired departments.

However, despite their ambition, the brothers lacked business acumen. To overcome this, they wisely hired Thomas Oakshott, an experienced buyer, in 1861 to manage their growing enterprise. Thomas eventually became the business partner, taking over from Henry Boswell in 1874 after George's retirement. In 1897, the business was incorporated, and upon Thomas Oakshott's passing in 1910, the Oakshott family became the sole owners. They continued to run the store for another nine years until they sold it to American businessman Harry Selfridge. Under Selfridge's management, the store lost its exclusivity and adopted the boldness associated with Selfridge's London store.

In 1926, the store became part of the new Selfridges Prudential Stores group, which lasted until their collapse in 1940. It was then purchased by the John Lewis Partnership. For the next 68 years, John Lewis operated the premises until 2008 when they announced the closure of the store. They relocated to a new 14,900m² unit within the Liverpool One shopping centre. Subsequently, the upper floors of the building were occupied by a furniture outlet, while the ground floor was taken by the discount chain Poundland. Unfortunately, both businesses have ceased trading, leaving the building in a state of disrepair. Excitingly, in August 2023, it was revealed that the building would undergo a transformation into a luxury hotel by the esteemed hotel operators, Mama Shelter. The hotel will feature a unique sports bar concept, adding to its allure.

GRONK_JohnLewis21.jpg

[1]

GRONK_JohnLewis1.jpg

[2]

GRONK_JohnLewis5.jpg

[3]

GRONK_JohnLewis18.jpg

[4]

GRONK_JohnLewis8.jpg

[5]

GRONK_JohnLewis7.jpg

[6]

GRONK_JohnLewis2.jpg

[7]

GRONK_JohnLewis6.jpg

[8]

GRONK_JohnLewis16.jpg

[9]

GRONK_JohnLewis4.jpg

[10]

GRONK_JohnLewis20.jpg

[11]

GRONK_JohnLewis10.jpg

[12]

GRONK_JohnLewis11.jpg

[13]​

Cheers for looking :thumb
Fuji XT-2, 10-24mm​

Last edited:

Jbomb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great photos mate! I was hoping to get in before the renovation work is started. Do you know of any decent entrys at this point in time ?

The new investment company have put their foot in the door at a really good time. This building is in a real state now. In recent weeks, lots of vandalisim has been taking place inside this building. If the people doing it read this, I think you are all disgusting. The bespoke brass fittings have been stolen and radiators have been thrown down stairs (Chipping all the marble stairwells).I am glad the security have pulled their finger out as this building holds a lot of memories for me.

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
Do you know of any decent entrys at this point in time ?
no, it's best not discussing access on a public forum.
This building is in a real state now. In recent weeks, lots of vandalisim has been taking place inside this building. If the people doing it read this, I think you are all disgusting. The bespoke brass fittings have been stolen and radiators have been thrown down stairs (Chipping all the marble stairwells).I am glad the security have pulled their finger out as this building holds a lot of memories for me.
the damage & destruction has nothing to do with us.

Nostalgia2000’s

28DL Member
28DL Member
Great photos mate! I was hoping to get in before the renovation work is started. Do you know of any decent entrys at this point in time ?

The new investment company have put their foot in the door at a really good time. This building is in a real state now. In recent weeks, lots of vandalisim has been taking place inside this building. If the people doing it read this, I think you are all disgusting. The bespoke brass fittings have been stolen and radiators have been thrown down stairs (Chipping all the marble stairwells).I am glad the security have pulled their finger out as this building holds a lot of memories for me.
This place holds a lot of memories for me too. During the mid 2000’s when this place was ran by John Lewis, I was coming here every week. The most memorable areas for me were the kids clothes and toy departments on the third floor. Plus the cafe on the third floor in the other building across the link.
Seeing this place fall apart is like seeing part of my childhood fade away. The vandalism is a disgrace.
Massive shame on the ignorant vandals who think it’s fun to vandalise one of the most important and historic department stores in history.
I wish John Lewis stayed. This building was in mint condition until John Lewis moved out in 2008.

For all who are wondering what the cafe on the third floor in the other building looked like, here’s a picture of what it looked like right before John Lewis moved out:

D11D4215-22EF-45D3-A221-54191728C49E.jpeg

Image credit: scousevulture
Image source: Flickr