real time web analytics
Harmsworth Quays (Printworks), London - Dec 23 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Harmsworth Quays (Printworks), London - Dec 23

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:
More commonly known as Printworks, although originally named "Harmsworth Quays Printing Plant", was once the largest printing facility in Western Europe. Opening its doors in 1989 and remaining operational for 24 years, famous newspapers such as The Evening Standard, The Daily Mai, Metro and The Telegraph all rolled from its presses.
Fast forward to 2012, and with the closure of Harmsworth Printing Plant, the land was bought up by British Land who later granted permission for the events organisation company Broadwick Live to convert the vacant building into an events space.
In 2017, "Printworks London" became official, and soon became a world-famous club attracting party-goers internationally. The building was also used for several music video & film shoots during its time under Broadwick Live's licence.
Unfortunately, Printworks would see its doors close in May 2023 following the approval of plans to convert the event space into office buildings.

Harmsworth_Quays_Printworks_London_Building.jpg

We went for a look:

Admittedly, I was somewhat late to the party with this one (if you pardon the pun), as a chunk of the site had already undergone demolition, fortunately, the majority remains and was well worth a snoop around. Like many others, I have fond memories of this one in its days as a club, so wandering around its now desolate floors was a surreal experience reminiscing over the countless drum & bass events I'd once enjoyed here.
Having a poke at this place was somewhat spontaneous after having called off other plans for the night, but as ever, I was joined in good company by @James Cross and @samrielly, both of whom enjoyed seeing this now empty shell as much as I did.
With darkness now fallen, we began to make our way towards the site, and with far less effort than we expected, we soon found ourselves inside its vast, industrial walls.

The Press Hall

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

View from the gantry

IMG_1726.jpg

Unfortunately, the control room is completely stripped

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

The second side of the press hall

IMG_1721.jpg

image_50438913.JPG

Original industrial printing presses

IMG_1725.jpg

image_50434561.JPG

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

From here, the site became fairly unphotogenic as we moved into the inkwells one floor below. Once filled with giant ink tanks which supplied the huge printing presses above, are now little more than empty concrete corridors.

IMG_1729.jpg

All in all, and despite many of its original features removed since its closure as a printing press, I still regard this place as one of the more meaningful spots I've looked at purely due to the somewhat blurry memories of the raves I attended in its time as one of the world's most striking venues.

Cheers all!

image_123650291.JPG

Last edited:

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Honestly didn't expect anything industrial to remain in that place so that's a pleasant surprise. Cracking photos

Who has read this thread (Total: 188) View details