real time web analytics
Report - - Iron Mines In The Coast - Spain (February 2024) | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Iron Mines In The Coast - Spain (February 2024)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RustyJohn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've just recently moved to a new city with new exploring possibilites all around, so to get familiar with my new surroundings, one warm (too warm!) winter morning I headed to Can Palomeres, a hill dotted with mines aaall around. The views from up there are quite nice...Seaside and mines, what more could you ask for?

malgrat.jpg

On a previous visit with my exploring partner we only explored the biggest mine in the hill, of which you can read a report and the history of the area here:

Report - - The Big Mine of 'Can Palomeres' (Abandoned Iron Mine) - Spain (December 2023) | European and International Sites

But there's a lot of stuff to see in the area, these 2 maps show the whole extense of the underground workings in the hill:

Captura de Pantalla 2024-02-08 a les 16.45.07.png

Captura de Pantalla 2024-02-08 a les 16.52.21.png

Having this playground 5 minutes from home has had me biting my nails for the last weeks, so today I said 'fuck it' and went solo. It was hard to keep my head cool and skip the sketchiest bits, motivation and adrenaline were running high, this being the first time underground on my own. Still, I managed to see most of the mines, so here we go!

Captura de Pantalla 2024-02-08 a les 16.46.22.png

funone.jpg

Most of the most well known adits don't have much interest since they're just a straight tunnel, but this one had some fun surprises awaiting.

inside.jpg

This is the typical look of the galleries in all the complex. They're lined with chalk because they were used as mushroom farms in the 60's.

porta.jpg

After taking a turn I could feel a draft of air, and after a bit of a squeeze through a sketchier part, I reached the bottom of a small shaft that led to the surface.

sketchy1.jpg

internalshaft2.jpg

It was easily climbable but after poking my head out decided to retrace my steps to the original entrance to not lose orientation in the forest.

minaderby.jpg

That one was well hidden and took a while to find, but it also had a surprise waiting inside.

deads.jpg

This gallery had no graffitti and even had some walls of stacked deads still remaining, and at the very end there were the remains of an old motorbike (?)

derby.jpg

Now it was time to explore the upper adits in the hill. Being the closest ones to the surface, they are the most unstable ones so I had to tread more carefully there.

aditshort.jpg

This was a ventilation shaft for the big mine. Funnily, I recognised it from having been down there, looking up at it from deep inside the big mine.

internal shaft.jpg

exit.jpg

The next adit was fuuuull of roots hanging from the ceiling, and you could see some fresh collapses on the floor so I didn't stay on that one for too long.

brambles.jpg

roots2.jpg

roots.jpg

At this point I had been trotting up and down that hill and going in and out of the earth for a few hours, but still had the second biggest mine of the group to see.

Captura de Pantalla 2024-02-08 a les 16.49.58.png

minaoriental.jpg

This one was a bit like a maze, at times I could feel my heart rate going up a bit, but in the end it was good fun to manage to do it alone for once.

walls.jpg

This was also the mine with the most 'features' like ore chutes, some nails on the walls...no rails anywhere sadly.

chute.jpg

hook.jpg

It was quite a big mine, with galleries and crossroads in every direction.

crossroads.jpg

columna.jpg

corda.jpg

At some point you reach this rope that leads you up to more levels. I managed to get to the middle one but it was just a very short gallery...the climb up the rope didn't seem like the most safe thing to do by myself, so at this point, feeling more than satisfied, I went back to the surface and back to the seaside.

plazaminera.jpg

TheJungleBeast

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice explore dude, quite alot on that hill.
And yeah exploring underground on your own is quite freaky, I always go with my mate but he was busy and I had a new torch to test, so I went to the smallest mine I know of to try it out, about half way through I started getting crazy anxious and realised I was a bit of a dick head for going really, then as I was climbing a fall that has hanging death above I pretty much freaked out and turned around to leave, in the process I almost rolled my ankle, only my boots stopped it from being painfull.