real time web analytics
Report - - J.H. Weatherby Falcon Pottery, Stoke-on-Trent, Oct 22 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - J.H. Weatherby Falcon Pottery, Stoke-on-Trent, Oct 22

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Here is yet another report on this old gem... it's always been on the agenda to get done, it's one of those massive sites that just sticks around forever. I finally got around to it last year although I couldn't drone it at the time, as I managed to crash into a wall at a mill the day before :banghead

Managed to get back with the drone this year whilst passing through, and it's looking a lot worse for wear, I'm surprised the local authority haven't just demolished it by now, the listed Kilns are in a shit state, and the rest of the site looks about ready to collapse. Anyway, on to the interesting part...

The History

John Henry Weatherby started out in the pottery business as a junior partner of Whittaker, Edge & Co. based out of the Hall Fields Pottery in Hanley in 1882. In 1891 he struck out on his own, setting up shop in a section of the Pinnox Works in nearby Tunstall. During this time, he registered four pattern designs in his name.

In April 1892, J.H. Weatherby transferred his operation to the Falcon Pottery, located adjacent to the Hall Fields Pottery on the High Street in Hanley. The first pattern design was registered at the Falcon Pottery in November 1892. The site had four kilns when Weatherby moved in, with another under construction. By 1900, there were 8 kilns on site, and the large 3 Stories 23 Bay entrance range which remains today was added in 1906.

From 1925, the site facilitated all it's production with five Bottle Kilns, with this continuing until 1961, when they were forced to invest in replacing these with Electric Kilns to comply with the Clean Air Acts of 1956 and 1968. These acts came as a result of the London Smog in 1952, and aimed to reduce pollution by driving households and industry towards using smokeless fuels, and imposing limits on the amount of dust and grit that could be emitted by industrial furnaces, kilns etc.

One coal fired Bottle Kiln was retained, although it saw little to no use, with it last being fired in 1965. It was an Updraught Bottle Oven design (or downdraught, depending on source) with an external Hovel to protect it from the elements. It was subsequently used for storage of empty Biscuit Saggars and Wood Wool. At one time, it was equipped with Thermocouples to measure the temperature inside the firing chamber. It is one of the largest remaining in Stoke-on-Trent.

A Muffle Kiln was built alongside this particular Bottle Kiln by 1913. They were both given listed status in 1989 due to the Muffle Kiln being one of only three of its kind left in Stoke-on-Trent, but due to a lack of maintenance, the hovel of the Bottle Kiln and the stack for the Muffle Kiln had both collapsed by 2012.

Weatherby first made domestic ware such as basins and ewers, later moving into tableware and giftware.The works were able to remain open during WW2 under the Domestic Pottery (Manufacture and Supply) Order.

In the 1950s a number of pottery companies began to make a range of animals hoping that people would go on to collect several in a set. Weatherby produced a series of sturdy comical animals which they called Zookies. An advertising leaflet from 1957 read "People who buy one, buy another and another and buy them for their friends too!". Weatherby made Zookies into the 1960s, but by 1970 production had ceased.

From 1975, the Falcon Works also produced ware for the American importers Jonroth, with the vast majority of this stock being marked only with the Jonroth mark, rather than any Falcon/Weatherby markings.

The company was wound up in April 2000 by Christopher Weatherby, the great great grandson of J.H. Weatherby, with the final order being manufactured for Jonroth. A small operation continued to operate out of the site under the leadership of Jonathan Weatherby for a short period, continuing to produce for Jonroth as decorators.

The Explore

Ended up hitting this after doing the Goss Falcon Works. We were going to do the Broom factory as well, but it had recently been demolished, so that went out the window :gay gained access to the building and started poking around, we weren't the only explorers inside either.

Drone shots -
dji_fly_20230721_082556_49_1695929726077_photo_optimized.jpg

dji_fly_20230721_083118_75_1695929699638_photo_optimized.jpg

Made our way around somewhat systematically, covering the entire ground floor first. The kilns remaining were amazing to see, and there was the odd decent find dotted around.

Electric Kilns -
DSC02512 (1).jpg

20221009_165529.jpg

DSC02600_1.jpg

20221009_163513.jpg

Bottle Kiln -
DSC02630.jpg

DSC02633.jpg

Muffle Kiln -
20221009_165615.jpg

20221009_171419.jpg

20221009_171400.jpg

A 60s Transformer -
DSC02557.jpg

DSC02574_1.jpg

Switchgear -
DSC02566_1.jpg

DSC02553.jpg

Made our way up the remains of some stairs, being wary of the pristine condition flooring as we went... bit of a maze on the upper levels, especially when you factor in negotiating around the numerous collapses. Most of it looks like this.
DSC02668.jpg

Managed to get up to the top floor where the roof is long gone in two separate areas, both of which were full of old China products, mostly scattered on the floor, but there was a few pieces dotted around the shelving intact.
DSC02659.jpg

Drone shot of the China carnage -
dji_fly_20230721_082802_63_1695929711336_photo_optimized (1).jpg

I was not happy with the state of the floor in the entrance range, but my companion didn't give a fuck and cracked on regardless, so I had to follow... he's a lot lighter than me...:lol
DSC02673.jpg

We didn't die, so continued around the upper floors. Wasn't all that much to see, we ended up finishing by finding the moulds room, where we found some old newspapers, and we spent 20 minutes digging through the moulds to try and find the oldest one.
DSC02699_1.jpg

Moulds -
DSC02729.jpg

DSC02740.jpg

Oddities -
DSC02540.jpg

Chemicals -
DSC02762.jpg

DSC02774.jpg

A pristine cup amongst the decay -
DSC02587.jpg

Haven't a clue what this is -
DSC02788.jpg

Goods Lift -
20221009_165354.jpg

Called it a day and hit the pub down the road for a quick pint before the 3 hour drive home.

Thanks for looking :thumb

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Yeah nicely done! Still has charm despite the wreckage! I loved this place when I visited

Last edited:

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Looks like all the potters bays have gone and I'm sure there was a wall behind those shelves upstairs when I did it lol.

I remember doing this one on the hottest day we had ever had (until recent times) and although I went in through the back couldn't be bothered when I came out and just crawled out under the main gate much to the amusement of the local taxis lined up there lol.

Nice to see it again.

2pac82

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Here is yet another report on this old gem... it's always been on the agenda to get done, it's one of those massive sites that just sticks around forever. I finally got around to it last year although I couldn't drone it at the time, as I managed to crash into a wall at a mill the day before :banghead

Managed to get back with the drone this year whilst passing through, and it's looking a lot worse for wear, I'm surprised the local authority haven't just demolished it by now, the listed Kilns are in a shit state, and the rest of the site looks about ready to collapse. Anyway, on to the interesting part...

The History

John Henry Weatherby started out in the pottery business as a junior partner of Whittaker, Edge & Co. based out of the Hall Fields Pottery in Hanley in 1882. In 1891 he struck out on his own, setting up shop in a section of the Pinnox Works in nearby Tunstall. During this time, he registered four pattern designs in his name.

In April 1892, J.H. Weatherby transferred his operation to the Falcon Pottery, located adjacent to the Hall Fields Pottery on the High Street in Hanley. The first pattern design was registered at the Falcon Pottery in November 1892. The site had four kilns when Weatherby moved in, with another under construction. By 1900, there were 8 kilns on site, and the large 3 Stories 23 Bay entrance range which remains today was added in 1906.

From 1925, the site facilitated all it's production with five Bottle Kilns, with this continuing until 1961, when they were forced to invest in replacing these with Electric Kilns to comply with the Clean Air Acts of 1956 and 1968. These acts came as a result of the London Smog in 1952, and aimed to reduce pollution by driving households and industry towards using smokeless fuels, and imposing limits on the amount of dust and grit that could be emitted by industrial furnaces, kilns etc.

One coal fired Bottle Kiln was retained, although it saw little to no use, with it last being fired in 1965. It was an Updraught Bottle Oven design (or downdraught, depending on source) with an external Hovel to protect it from the elements. It was subsequently used for storage of empty Biscuit Saggars and Wood Wool. At one time, it was equipped with Thermocouples to measure the temperature inside the firing chamber. It is one of the largest remaining in Stoke-on-Trent.

A Muffle Kiln was built alongside this particular Bottle Kiln by 1913. They were both given listed status in 1989 due to the Muffle Kiln being one of only three of its kind left in Stoke-on-Trent, but due to a lack of maintenance, the hovel of the Bottle Kiln and the stack for the Muffle Kiln had both collapsed by 2012.

Weatherby first made domestic ware such as basins and ewers, later moving into tableware and giftware.The works were able to remain open during WW2 under the Domestic Pottery (Manufacture and Supply) Order.

In the 1950s a number of pottery companies began to make a range of animals hoping that people would go on to collect several in a set. Weatherby produced a series of sturdy comical animals which they called Zookies. An advertising leaflet from 1957 read "People who buy one, buy another and another and buy them for their friends too!". Weatherby made Zookies into the 1960s, but by 1970 production had ceased.

From 1975, the Falcon Works also produced ware for the American importers Jonroth, with the vast majority of this stock being marked only with the Jonroth mark, rather than any Falcon/Weatherby markings.

The company was wound up in April 2000 by Christopher Weatherby, the great great grandson of J.H. Weatherby, with the final order being manufactured for Jonroth. A small operation continued to operate out of the site under the leadership of Jonathan Weatherby for a short period, continuing to produce for Jonroth as decorators.

The Explore

Ended up hitting this after doing the Goss Falcon Works. We were going to do the Broom factory as well, but it had recently been demolished, so that went out the window :gay gained access to the building and started poking around, we weren't the only explorers inside either.

Drone shots -
dji_fly_20230721_082556_49_1695929726077_photo_optimized.jpg

dji_fly_20230721_083118_75_1695929699638_photo_optimized.jpg

Made our way around somewhat systematically, covering the entire ground floor first. The kilns remaining were amazing to see, and there was the odd decent find dotted around.

Electric Kilns -
DSC02512 (1).jpg

20221009_165529.jpg

DSC02600_1.jpg

20221009_163513.jpg

Bottle Kiln -
DSC02630.jpg

DSC02633.jpg

Muffle Kiln -
20221009_165615.jpg

20221009_171419.jpg

20221009_171400.jpg

A 60s Transformer -
DSC02557.jpg

DSC02574_1.jpg

Switchgear -
DSC02566_1.jpg

DSC02553.jpg

Made our way up the remains of some stairs, being wary of the pristine condition flooring as we went... bit of a maze on the upper levels, especially when you factor in negotiating around the numerous collapses. Most of it looks like this.
DSC02668.jpg

Managed to get up to the top floor where the roof is long gone in two separate areas, both of which were full of old China products, mostly scattered on the floor, but there was a few pieces dotted around the shelving intact.
DSC02659.jpg

Drone shot of the China carnage -
dji_fly_20230721_082802_63_1695929711336_photo_optimized (1).jpg

I was not happy with the state of the floor in the entrance range, but my companion didn't give a fuck and cracked on regardless, so I had to follow... he's a lot lighter than me...:lol
DSC02673.jpg

We didn't die, so continued around the upper floors. Wasn't all that much to see, we ended up finishing by finding the moulds room, where we found some old newspapers, and we spent 20 minutes digging through the moulds to try and find the oldest one.
DSC02699_1.jpg

Moulds -
DSC02729.jpg

DSC02740.jpg

Oddities -

DSC02540.jpg

Chemicals -
DSC02762.jpg

DSC02774.jpg

A pristine cup amongst the decay -
DSC02587.jpg

Haven't a clue what this is -
DSC02788.jpg

Goods Lift -
20221009_165354.jpg

Called it a day and hit the pub down the road for a quick pint before the 3 hour drive home.

Thanks for looking :thumb
Nice bit work some interesting stuff still left behind to cheers for sharing