real time web analytics
Report - - Lower Padnal Pumping Station, Cambridgeshire : May 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lower Padnal Pumping Station, Cambridgeshire : May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lower Padnal Pumping Station

All I seem to report on is old pumps at the moment. Similar to my other finds, this was an old OS maps find which I stuck on the map, me and @dansgas1000 drove to have a look at along with some others one sunny Saturday.
Not a massive amount can be found about this one. K.S.G Hinde's book ‘Fenland Pumping Engines’ names this as Lower Padnal Pumping Station. This was originally a steam pumping station. Estimated construction in 1881. Originally, it had an Easton & Anderson horizontal single beam engine 12" x 26" with a flywheel 8' 1". A single boiler by makers, 60 psi. These were then later replaced by a Cornish boiler in 1925 by Dodman which ran at 79 rpm. Bevel gearing drive to a turbine pump in an annexe.

This was scrapped in 1937 and replaced by an Allen S27 two-cylinder diesel engine, which is still in place. There is now an active electric pump in a new building situated just next to the old pump on the same channel.
I managed to find a small extract from the ‘Cambridgeshire Fen Drainage Scrapbook” from author and Cambridgeshire historian Mike Petty. It states “Last year Padnal had asked for a new engine, but it was turned down. As a result the old engine had broken and the fens were under water. Unless something was done the South Level was heading for the greatest calamity it had ever faced. 5th April 1937”
This snippet ties in with the earlier information found that Lower Padnal pump did eventually get a replacement engine in late 1937.

padnal.PNG

Entrance onto the site was easy enough, there is a new fence around the site which is very tall so can't climb it! Walked all the way around to where the fence ended, and it was right next to the channel. Luckily, the fence had some handy makeshift grab handles so you could kind of pull yourself round as the bank had given away where the fence meets the channel. Once this was navigated, the pump itself was unlocked. Opening the door did scare off an owl who was living inside. We spent a good hour or so inside and then moved on to the next ones on our list. One of which looked very active still, and the other two being secure.

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Stunning shots mate, a fab find that one was. I didn't expect to get in that one but was pleasantly surprised. I did feel very sad about the owl bless him, hopefully, he came back not so long after we left!

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Stunning shots mate, a fab find that one was. I didn't expect to get in that one but was pleasantly surprised. I did feel very sad about the owl bless him, hopefully, he came back not so long after we left!
Hopefully so! Quite common to see owls in these pumps aint it

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Another nice one - any more of the pump e.g. who made it?
Thank You. Unfortunately, that's all I was able to find on it. I did spend a good while researching, but only came up with what I mentioned. I'd love to know more about it though.

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Good to see another one of these ticked off.
The Road that passes this one is hideous, especially when it's late at night and you're flying along, so I always assumed it was used.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good to see another one of these ticked off.
The Road that passes this one is hideous, especially when it's late at night and you're flying along, so I always assumed it was used.
I agree, absolutely awful that bit of road. Next time you're passing definitely give it a look!