real time web analytics
New Mills Tin Works Remains, Gloucestershire : October 2022 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

New Mills Tin Works Remains, Gloucestershire : October 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
New Mills Tin Works

Not a massive amount to say or see with this one, but I enjoyed it, and I'm pleased with the photos I got from here, so I'm sure it's worth a report.
There are some fairly well ruined buildings in a little settlement called New Mills in Gloucestershire, it took quite a bit of doing to find any history on this, but luckily with the help of OS Maps I was able to find a name for the site so I could investigate it further.
Here is the site as shown on OS Maps.

1669837158129.png

As can be seen, the site was quite large, there was also a quarry besides this, so the area was a hive of activity. This is a screenshot of the 1873-1888 OS 25 Inch Map.
Surprisingly, I couldn't find a date of construction for the Tin Works, it may have been in the 1770s, but I cannot be sure. I found some information on when it changed ownership throughout the years. This included:

David Tanner, who took over the lease in 1788 with a holding period of 99 years. This was paid for by Thomas Daniel, John Fisher Weare and John Scandrell Harford to whom he agreed to sell the whole lease for £17,228 17s 2d.
Thomas, John W and John H took over on 8th November 1790.
After this, it gets very hazy, there's lots of different dates and names listed depending on where you search.
It's also unclear when it became derelict. I've found all I can, really. At least I now know what the buildings were, as when I visited, I had no clue!

On with the photos….

IMG_4547-HDR.jpg

IMG_4540-HDR.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4548-HDR.jpg

IMG_4551-HDR.jpg

IMG_4558-HDR-2.jpg

IMG_4561-HDR.jpg

IMG_4564-HDR.jpg

There was also a large forge further north from this site, it was also part of the same company, Here it is on OS Maps

1669838891083.png

I did walk up to this point, but there wasn't much of interest. The foundations of the 4 terrace type buildings (near where it says 'BM 99') remained, but I couldn't see much more than that. I was running out of light though, so I didn't look too hard. I'm planning to return in the future just to check.

Here's a photo of the site in full swing back in the day

l22.jpg

photo link for those whom are interested Lydney Tin Plate works

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks like it's been derelict for years, there's a stark contrast between the atmosphere at the site in your photos of the site at present versus that old photo of the works. Excellent shots!

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks like it's been derelict for years, there's a stark contrast between the atmosphere at the site in your photos of the site at present versus that old photo of the works. Excellent shots!
Thank you! You'd like this one I reckon, I need to go back and have a look at that bit further upstream so could! There's a nice bridge apparently.
Yeah very much different, I couldnt really believe it was the same place

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice photogenic place. Your photos just get better. That new camera looks like it's working a treat for you now.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice photogenic place. Your photos just get better. That new camera looks like it's working a treat for you now.
Thanks Mikey, yeah this was the first outing with it so was learning as I went. A large improvement on the old camera! It really was photogenic. The time of year helped also.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Shut in 1925 according to an article in the Gloucester Citizen during demolition in October 1930
Thanks, so perhaps this was nothing to do the site if it was demolished in 1930. seems a bit strange for them to just leave a few bits dotted around. The construction materials are definitely of that period though.

tigger

mog
Regular User
If it was in an area that was valuable or the materials were valuable 'demolition' would be more thorough. Nowadays brownfield is much more valuable than it was back then. Generally things like metal and rooves were removed, walls lowered and then they'd pack up and go for a brew never to return ;)
Country is littered with similar woodled riverside sites with half-hearted removal - luckily for us

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
If it was in an area that was valuable or the materials were valuable 'demolition' would be more thorough. Nowadays brownfield is much more valuable than it was back then. Generally things like metal and rooves were removed, walls lowered and then they'd pack up and go for a brew never to return ;)
Country is littered with similar woodled riverside sites with half-hearted removal - luckily for us
Very true, forget how different the world was back then. Thanks for the input!
I enjoy all these smaller places, might seem insignificant to some but they make for good photos and I enjoy finding the history on them.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Looks like a nice mooch, knowing the history beforehand, would have me trying to work out where I was in contrast to the old map. Anyone passing would probably think old bridge of sorts.
I like this kind of atmosphere. :thumb

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks like a nice mooch, knowing the history beforehand, would have me trying to work out where I was in contrast to the old map. Anyone passing would probably think old bridge of sorts.
I like this kind of atmosphere. :thumb
Thanks! I'm going to go back when I'm next nearby, using the old map to try and find other bits that may be left.

Who has read this thread (Total: 166) View details