real time web analytics
Report - - RAF West Raynham Airmen's Restaurant, Norfolk - February 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF West Raynham Airmen's Restaurant, Norfolk - February 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
This was actually a bit of a failure day as I mainly wanted to revisit the Officer's Mess but we tried every single potential access point except for the roof and couldn’t get in, there’s some fairly fresh fencing around the rear of the site and despite climbing it there didn’t seem to be a way in after looking in every nook and cranny, the only part I didn’t check was on the roof! Anyway, I did manage to get into the Airmens Restaurant for the first time since 2014 and it is a lovely building, so I thought it would be worth sharing these shots as I’ve been sitting on them for a few months now, and hopefully when I next try the Officers Mess I can get in and can share those pics with you all. Visited with @JakeV50.

Information & History
RAF West Raynham was constructed between 1938 & 1939 and was used by the RAF Bomber Command during WW2. The Bomber Command was responsible for the bombing of Germany during the war and during its operating period between 1936 and 1968, it dropped over a million bombs. The base played a crucial role in carrying out bombing missions against enemy targets in mainland Europe. The base hosted a number of squadrons over the years operating various bomber aircraft, some of the notable ones included the Vickers Wellington and Avro Lancaster.

Vickers Wellington in flight (Source: Tangmere Museum)

vickers.jpg

After World War II the base was still very much in use and became a base for fighter aircraft. Raynham hosted squadrons operating jet aircraft such as the Gloster Meteor and Hawker Hunter. Later, during the cold war, West Raynham’s squadrons contributed to NATO’s defense strategy in Western Europe ensuring the security of NATO countries. It was also the home to the Royal Observer Corps annual summer training camp which was an 8-week long programme.

The site was shut down in 1994 by the MoD and fell into disrepair. Today, some of the site has now been converted into industrial units similar to that of Coltishall and small parts of Sculthorpe. Other parts of the site have remained derelict over the years and are in poor condition, but the level of vandalism isn’t actually too bad at all and is still in far better condition than the likes of Sculthorpe. The control tower was converted into a lovely private home a few years ago, I’m glad it didn’t get demolished like the Sculthorpe Tower. Other noteworthy changes are the thousands of solar panels that have been built around the old runway.

West Raynham and Sculthorpe will always have a special place in my heart as I went to these during my first ever day exploring derelict places in 2014, I never knew I would become such an addict all these years later!

The Explore
The visit was chilled out, as it usually is here. The best tip really is to park somewhere which isn’t too blatantly obvious and try to stay fairly low-key. I haven’t been inside the Airmen’s Restaurant for years so it was nice to get back in there, shame about the Officer’s Mess but I will certainly get a new report up once I cover more bits and bobs with the camera. I did get in during 2022 but only got phone photos sadly and they were not of the best quality.

Onto the photos, starting with externals as usual:

Here’s a shot I took of the restaurant entrance in 2014, it hasn’t changed a huge amount over the years:

DSC_0012.jpg

2023:

IMG_8415.jpg

IMG_8406.jpg

IMG_8436.jpg

The money shot here is of the main foyer with the doors and staircases, my lens wasn't quite wide enough though!

IMG_8249-HDR.jpg

IMG_8336-HDR-2.jpg

Some of the kitchen areas have some nice decay, but considering the length of time it has been closed it could have easily ended up much worse:

IMG_8219-HDR.jpg

IMG_8228-HDR.jpg

IMG_8231-HDR.jpg

IMG_8237-HDR.jpg

IMG_8222-HDR.jpg

The main eating areas were spectacularly bare but there's some nice peel and greenery coming through which more than make up for this:

IMG_8261-HDR.jpg

IMG_8267-HDR.jpg

IMG_8297-HDR.jpg

I like the decay on the wall:

IMG_8348-HDR.jpg

IMG_8354-HDR.jpg

Another set of stairs, notice the little tea-pot designs on the tiles:

IMG_8276-HDR.jpg

Got to throw a few corridor shots in:

IMG_8195-HDR.jpg

IMG_8246-HDR.jpg

Upstairs and some other miscellaneous shots:

IMG_8285-HDR.jpg

IMG_8288-HDR.jpg

IMG_8306-HDR.jpg

IMG_8315-HDR.jpg

IMG_8321-HDR.jpg

IMG_8333-HDR.jpg

IMG_8384-HDR.jpg

And finally - a few external pics of the Officer's Mess on the day, even though we couldn't get in:

IMG_8466.jpg

IMG_8469.jpg

IMG_8481-2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Corr that's nice, Art Deco is actually the champagne of urbex

Just noticed that final staircase shot thats unreal

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice shots of the building mate. Shame they boarded the glass up on the main foyer. I might be going crazy, but I swore the kids had put some graffiti in this building.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Corr that's nice, Art Deco is actually the champagne of urbex

Just noticed that final staircase shot thats unreal
Thanks mate, much appreciated. These bases do have a really nice art-deco style design and this one particular is a cracking example of that with some nice decay but little vandalism. Thanks, I had to throw that staircase shot in!

Really nice shots of the building mate. Shame they boarded the glass up on the main foyer. I might be going crazy, but I swore the kids had put some graffiti in this building.
Cheers mate, yeah it doesn't look quite as effective now does it, and a fair bit darker in there as a result. There were a few bits of graffiti in there but I managed to not get any of it in the shots, I haven't removed any with Lightroom, from memory I think there were a few tags in the main foyer at the rear wall which isn't in the shot.

Nice shots, looks like you found it as photogenic as I did when I went!
Cheers, it is a nice one isn't it!

Some really nice shots there. Tasty!
Made it look fantastic! Some nice angles.
Decent set of pics that mate.
Thanks all, I enjoyed shooting this one :D

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers mate, yeah it doesn't look quite as effective now does it, and a fair bit darker in there as a result. There were a few bits of graffiti in there but I managed to not get any of it in the shots, I haven't removed any with Lightroom, from memory I think there were a few tags in the main foyer at the rear wall which isn't in the shot.

yeah I did not think it was a lot inside. I just remember seeing a bit in pics.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Always like seeing those stairs. So much to like here. Though its stripped, from a photogenic point of view its a dream. Great tiles and peel.