real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Weston Zoyland, Bridgwater, Dec 22 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Weston Zoyland, Bridgwater, Dec 22

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is down the road from me, yet I've never really bothered doing a proper explore until now... was a snowy day again, much like my explore of RAF Culmhead (Here), had a soundtrack of some cars cocking about on the snow for the entire visit. It is mostly open to the public, except for the Control Tower, which is 'private property' and the Ambulance Station, which is now a private residence.

The History

One of the earliest RAF airfields in the UK, RAF Weston Zoyland opened in 1920 as a seasonal camp, being used between May-September each year. It's use changed to that of a landing ground from 1925. It was used from 1926 by aircraft towing gunnery targets for the Anti-aircraft gunnery ranges off the coast of Watchet in the Bristol Channel. Buildings were initially added piecemeal as needed, so there was not much of a planned layout.

Users over the next fourteen years gradually evolved from the Night Flying Flight to the Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Flight (later Unit) and eventually ‘A’ Flight of No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit. Biggin Hill acted as its headquarters base until Farnborough took charge instead in April 1938.

With the onset of WW2, the airfield was quickly developed into a fully fledged base, attaining full RAF Airfield status with the arrival of No. 16 Unit who were based there in full, rather than as a detachment. The airfield also remained heavily involved with Army Anti-air co-operation throughout the war. Multiple units would pass through the airfield, with many different aircraft such as the North American Mustang and Westland Lysanders of No.16 Unit, and Hurricanes, Mosquitos and Spitfires amongst others.

In 1942, the Air Ministry started to upgrade the site to the Class A Airfield standard in order to become a bomber base, adding numerous buildings and planning to add hard runways in place of the grass. In early 1943, No. 16 Unit was transferred to Andover, and work was undertaken to lay the Concrete runways and a full Perimeter Track, with the main runway clocking in at 5,775ft, and other two at 3,564ft and 4,101ft respectively.

The Airfield from above in April 1944 -
Wz-22apr44.jpg
Two 150ft wide hardstandings were also constructed, along with 33 dispersal loops linked to the peri track which was the standard 50ft wide. In order to obtain the necessary land for the runways, the A372 to Othery had to be diverted South down a minor road.

In 1944 the two Anti-air co-operation units (No. 286 and 587 Units) were temporarily displaced to RAF Culmhead to make room for the US 442nd Troop Carrier Group's C47s, which were redeployed from RAF Fulbeck after D-day. They returned after the 442nd departed to a Forward Landing Ground in France in October and remained until the end of the war when No. 286 Unit was disbanded, and No. 587 Unit remained until the airfield was wound down, being transferred to RAF Tangmere on 1st June 1946.

By 1947 the airfield had been reduced to Care and Maintenance and saw no further flying activity. However, in the summer of 1952 it was brought back into use to meet the Soviet threat. An increase in the RAF's strength created demand for more aircrews, so Weston Zoyland had Gloster Meteor and De Havilland Vampire jets stationed there for training purposes as part of the No. 209 Advanced Flying School.
METEORSERVICE.jpg.article-962.jpg

This role was switched to that of a work up station prior to deployment by the mid 50s, with English Electric Canberra squadrons passing through prior to deployment overseas. Some of these Canberras flew out to Australia to take part in the British nuclear testing at Maralinga. The airfield was deserted of aircraft again by 1958 having ceased military operations in December 1957. The Air Ministry retained it for a further ten years before relinquishing the land.

The A372 was restored to more or less it's original route immediately after closure, utilising the peri track to the south of the main runway. Multiple sources suggest a large portion of the main runway was used, but this is clearly incorrect, as a brief look at satellite view can confirm. Using the measuring tool on Google Maps, there is roughly 1,000 yards of the runway missing which I would presume is split between the village at one end and the field at the other.

The Explore

Parked up in the usual spot used by dog walkers to walk around the accessible part of the airfield. Came across what I'm presuming is a Pilots Ready Room first of all, definitely in a poor condition.

Exterior -
DSC04486.jpg

Boiler -
DSC04479.jpg

Switchgear -

DSC04464.jpg

Made my way towards the next couple of buildings, probably the largest ones remaining. Not sure what they were used for though.

Exterior -
DSC04511.jpg

Chimney -
DSC04518.jpg

DSC04521.jpg

Interior -
DSC04513.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

The rear with a resident -
DSC04507.jpg

I found the remains of a fighter pen I think, but there's so little left, it's hard to say, the underground parts were demolished/missing unlike Culmhead, that's for sure.
DSC04494.jpg

Generator Room -
DSC04525.jpg

Hit the peri track and sent the drone up at this point, as a dog walker had taken a keen interest in what I was doing, so was waiting for him to leave. I guess I just have a constant suspicious look about me? :hmm Who knows, but it's always the dog walkers... wasn't a convenient pub nearby this time either to wait him out.

New meets Old -
dji_fly_20221217_101108_594_1699377107165_photo_optimized.jpg

Aerial shot of the remaining buildings -
dji_fly_20221217_101042_591_1699377109947_photo_optimized.jpg

Made a beeline for the Control Tower as soon as he had fucked off, which had a minefield of shite and rubble belonging to the landowner to negotiate in order to get to the door. Pretty typical control tower really, offers a nice view over the runways though, which are mostly still in situ, although the main runway is used by a firm selling bulk agricultural supplies I think, and they're using the runway for material storage. Almost got spotted inside though, so had to make a quick exit.

The Control Tower in use -
WESTONCONTROLa.jpg.gallery.jpg

Interior -
DSC04547.jpg

Exterior -
DSC04539.jpg

The airfield is still active, with microlights occasionally flying out of it. There is also a new small scale airshow taking place annually.

Thanks for looking. :thumb

tigger

mog
Regular User
First building is the Guard & Fire Party House
(Pilots Ready Room are small affairs and sited near the runways away from the main technical area, where you were. WZ wouldn't have had any)
Next is the parachute store. The lower and wider building next to it is too nondescript to identify (1950s site plan at Hendon would identify it).
Next is a standard 50 person Blast Shelter (West Zoyland wouldn't have had fighter pens anyway)
Your 'generator room' is probably a Substaion

Your quadcopter shot appears to show an Air Ministry Bombing Teacher remains also

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First building is the Guard & Fire Party House
(Pilots Ready Room are small affairs and sited near the runways away from the main technical area, where you were. WZ wouldn't have had any)
Next is the parachute store. The lower and wider building next to it is too nondescript to identify (1950s site plan at Hendon would identify it).
Next is a standard 50 person Blast Shelter (West Zoyland wouldn't have had fighter pens anyway)
Your 'generator room' is probably a Substaion
Thank you for identifying everything :thumb I probably should have looked for a site plan, rather than guessing

tigger

mog
Regular User
Thank you for identifying everything :thumb I probably should have looked for a site plan, rather than guessing
For WZ there are site plans from 1945, 54 and 55 at Hendon. The 1954 Building Schedule would likley be the most use if you did want to look at the site in detail as the 1945 one would be missing later additions. Copies aren't expensive.