real time web analytics
Report - - Remains of ROF Pembre, Carmarthenshire 5/22-3/24 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Remains of ROF Pembre, Carmarthenshire 5/22-3/24

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TalkingMask

Professional Twat
28DL Full Member
History
(Taken from History of Pembrey)

The sand dunes not only provided an effective screen but also minimised any possible damage in the event of an explosion.
It is hardly surprising therefore, that the area attracted the producers of gun powder as early as 1882. Dynamite & TNT were produced later when the factory was known as the National Explosive Factory, later The Nobel Explosive Company, & during WW2 as the Royal Ordinance Factory, at its peak there were 6,000 people employed, mostly Women.

It was however, 1914 before the Royal Ordnance Factory became developed on a large scale. By 1914 the Nobel Explosive Company Ltd of Glasgow, who originally intended to produce industrial explosives, agreed with the Secretary of State for War to erect and manage a Trinitrotoluene (TNT) factory at Pembrey. It was agreed that the state should bear the entire cost of the plant, which would then remain Government property after the war, with Messrs Nobel being retained as agents for administration

As the Second World War approached the factory was re-opened and largely rebuilt under the name of the 'Royal Ordnance Factory. The factory buildings were carefully laid out over some 200 hectares of sand dunes with the central office, police barracks, canteen, surgery, library and administrative buildings being grouped together near the entrance of the factory. The nitration buildings, magazines and other danger spots were scattered among sand dunes a safe distance away. Only a few of these structures now remain. The site’s coastal location meant that there was an economical building material readily available in the form of sand.

In addition to the area’s natural dunes, large quantities of sand were used to form artificial mounds and underground bunkers. These not only provided a degree of camouflage but also protection against attach of explosion within the factory. Many of these remain and have been incorporated into the landform during the reclamation of site. The layout of the site had been given careful consideration with raw material stores, acid plants and nitration buildings laid out in a progressive order enabling an effective flow of materials along the factory’s railway system. Traces of the tracks are still visible today, particularly in front of the Adventure Play Area. The factory was entirely self-sufficient in terms of services, having its own plant and machinery to produce electricity.

The closure of the factory was formally announced in the House of Commons in April 1962, upon recommendation of the Royal Ordnance Factory Review.

The factory was finally closed in March 1965

“Explore”

This isn’t really a big Urbex explore in my eyes as a bulk of the remains is actually marked as a trail and looking through some of the Bunkers is actually encouraged by the locals I’ve spoken to, but it is still a fascinating look around

I’ve always loved Penbre as it’s been our go to beach with our stay in wales with family, I loved the tall sand dunes and the long beach to walk on with the little shipwreck remains. Plus, RAF Penbre sits very close to it and every now and then the Red Arrows fly over it with a load roar. I even saw a B-2 Spirit fly over years ago which was fascinating!

The bunkers are sprinkled around the site and are very empty, with the only thing in them being a couple empty storage rooms and an empty hallway passing through it (Likely for ventilation), but despite this it is still fascinating just walking around and seeing the concrete structures just appear out of the sand and grass, and made a lovely couple hours out in the sun

Would I recommend this if you’re in Swansea? Absolutely! I think it’s a great little explore and if you’re fortunate enough it is worth it to see the Red Arrows alone, so definitely a good summer days out if you’re ever in South Wales

The main ordinance bunkers

IMG_5800.jpeg

IMG_5801.jpeg

IMG_5799.jpeg

IMG_5806.jpeg

IMG_3189.jpeg

f4ddb33a-379c-4157-a54a-bb737a72179c.jpeg

Small shelters and tunnels

IMG_3195.jpeg

IMG_3196.jpeg

IMG_3197.jpeg

IMG_3198.jpeg

Even a couple pillboxes dotted around the site

IMG_3199.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg

Have a great day!

TheJungleBeast

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went there a few years ago to look at the bunkers, turned out the beach was so amazing and it was a sunny day, so I pretty much just chilled on the beach all day.