real time web analytics
Report - - Rock Nook mill, Littleborough summit | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Rock Nook mill, Littleborough summit

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ZenoExplores

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Scroll down for the pictures and information of entry

Rock Nook mill was originally the home of Fothergill and Harvey which was founded in 1847, as a partnership between Thomas Fothergill and Alexander Harvey, the company has been producing technical textiles since 1848.
Originally, fabrics were woven from natural fibres such as cotton and the company produced the first khaki drill for servicemen's uniforms.

Rock Nook was constructed in 1886 as the company grew and expanded. By 1945, as a research unit had been established, the company was diversifying away from cotton and into glass and other synthetic fabrics.

The company was amongst the first weavers to produce fabrics from new aramid fibres and during 1972 took advantage of the technology available from the Royal Aircraft Establishment to weave carbon fibre.

The Fothergill and Harvey Group was acquired by Courtaulds in 1987 and using the technology of Courtaulds commenced production of knitted fabrics.

Once Fothergill and Harvey left the mill was taken over by Tygaflor Ltd. who in turn have been swallowed up by Saint-Gobain and moved to Rochdale.

This is an updated report on the site for anybody who might be looking to explore the place, and can't find any fairly recent reports.

The way in is located round the back, which can be found by a set of stairs on the left side of the building

As seen here, this is the place you should look for, with the stairs being to the left which bring you behind the mill.

IMG-20221009-WA0000(1).jpg

Moving round you will find a metal fence, you can easily just move around it, and carefully stick to the side of the banking. Continuing down this way will bring you to the way in.

20221009_140219.jpg

Upon entering you are greeted with the main rooms, which are large open rooms with pillars coming down from the ceiling, probably once filled with machinery.

IMG-20221009-WA0010.jpg

This is much the same for the other floors with side rooms that differ, offices, elevators ect.

Anyway I'll dump a load of pictures here as you get the idea, enjoy!

IMG-20221009-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0027.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0031.jpg

20221009_142140.jpg

20221009_140922.jpg

The bottom floors were way to dark to get decent photographs, but there was a part I didn't explore, which may have been where all the pipework or generators are? I'm not too sure, will return and check that out as I haven't seen any pictures of that area on here either. Either way, decent explore, if not a bit creepy, especially with the strange sounds coming from the upper floors. Better than expected, would recommend for a nice nosey in the area.

IMG-20221009-WA0015.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Seemed to recall it had a very very well secured basement level years ago, did you go down there?

ZenoExplores

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Seemed to recall it had a very very well secured basement level years ago, did you go down there?
Nah we didn't even see it to be fair. We're planning to return but we did find out the basement is open and access is easy, it's just very dark. I'd go back but due to the sunset times now I'm not too keen on it

barmybob

28DL Member
28DL Member
Scroll down for the pictures and information of entry

Rock Nook mill was originally the home of Fothergill and Harvey which was founded in 1847, as a partnership between Thomas Fothergill and Alexander Harvey, the company has been producing technical textiles since 1848.
Originally, fabrics were woven from natural fibres such as cotton and the company produced the first khaki drill for servicemen's uniforms.

Rock Nook was constructed in 1886 as the company grew and expanded. By 1945, as a research unit had been established, the company was diversifying away from cotton and into glass and other synthetic fabrics.

The company was amongst the first weavers to produce fabrics from new aramid fibres and during 1972 took advantage of the technology available from the Royal Aircraft Establishment to weave carbon fibre.

The Fothergill and Harvey Group was acquired by Courtaulds in 1987 and using the technology of Courtaulds commenced production of knitted fabrics.

Once Fothergill and Harvey left the mill was taken over by Tygaflor Ltd. who in turn have been swallowed up by Saint-Gobain and moved to Rochdale.

This is an updated report on the site for anybody who might be looking to explore the place, and can't find any fairly recent reports.

The way in is located round the back, which can be found by a set of stairs on the left side of the building

As seen here, this is the place you should look for, with the stairs being to the left which bring you behind the mill.

IMG-20221009-WA0000(1).jpg

Moving round you will find a metal fence, you can easily just move around it, and carefully stick to the side of the banking. Continuing down this way will bring you to the way in.

20221009_140219.jpg

Upon entering you are greeted with the main rooms, which are large open rooms with pillars coming down from the ceiling, probably once filled with machinery.

IMG-20221009-WA0010.jpg

This is much the same for the other floors with side rooms that differ, offices, elevators ect.

Anyway I'll dump a load of pictures here as you get the idea, enjoy!

IMG-20221009-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0027.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20221009-WA0031.jpg

20221009_142140.jpg

20221009_140922.jpg

The bottom floors were way to dark to get decent photographs, but there was a part I didn't explore, which may have been where all the pipework or generators are? I'm not too sure, will return and check that out as I haven't seen any pictures of that area on here either. Either way, decent explore, if not a bit creepy, especially with the strange sounds coming from the upper floors. Better than expected, would recommend for a nice nosey in the area.

IMG-20221009-WA0015.jpg
I work here still, in the Fothergills end, which is still intact. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to be demolished very soon, as a huge chunk of the front wall collapsed into the road last Friday (18/08/23). The road is currently blocked, causing havoc, ad we can't get goods wagons past. It's a shame to lose a beautiful old mill.

ZenoExplores

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I work here still, in the Fothergills end, which is still intact. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to be demolished very soon, as a huge chunk of the front wall collapsed into the road last Friday (18/08/23). The road is currently blocked, causing havoc, ad we can't get goods wagons past. It's a shame to lose a beautiful old mill.
Really big shame, one of my favourite mills to visit, the architecture is quite nice and I've not seen it all yet, was hoping to get into the tower on the left side, looks like that won't be happening. Thanks for the update mate, really appreciated.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cant say I'm surprised looking at the state of it