real time web analytics
Report - - Runwell Mental Hospital, Essex - Pre & Post Development 2012 - 2021 | Asylums and Hospitals | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Runwell Mental Hospital, Essex - Pre & Post Development 2012 - 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice mate. Bet you are gutted you did not go back, that boiler house in the earlier reports look fantastic. This is why I like this forum when you have a good discussion about lettering on the walls. Little touches like that on FB groups go unnoticed. People don't appreciate things like that. It's almost see a location and move on to the next as quick as possible to so many.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Really good to see bit refurbed here. Very comprehensive report. I do like a before and after report. That is real history and the layers building go through. Good work :thumb

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User

That's the boilerhouse although the bit everyone thinks of as the boilerhouse was actually more of a water tower. The site was on a hill so didn't need a tall watertower.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User

That's the boilerhouse although the bit everyone thinks of as the boilerhouse was actually more of a water tower. The site was on a hill so didn't need a tall watertower.
that is cool, its proper industrial scale.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member

Those water level thingies are worth a few quid apparently. Always in demand for preserved steam engines so say!?

mockney reject

Staff member
What always got me with the boiler house was the fact they left some virtually brand new hydrovane compressors there and they ended up in the scrap :(

What a waste

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Really nice mate. Bet you are gutted you did not go back, that boiler house in the earlier reports look fantastic. This is why I like this forum when you have a good discussion about lettering on the walls. Little touches like that on FB groups go unnoticed. People don't appreciate things like that. It's almost see a location and move on to the next as quick as possible to so many.
Too right, I think it's nice to revisit old haunts even if it can only be done virtually. And yes very gutted I didn't return!

Wastelandr

Regular User
Really good to see bit refurbed here. Very comprehensive report. I do like a before and after report. That is real history and the layers building go through. Good work :thumb
Big thanks for that! Yeah documenting how places change over time is when it gets interesting imo

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
What always got me with the boiler house was the fact they left some virtually brand new hydrovane compressors there and they ended up in the scrap :(

What a waste
I have to be careful what I say but when they were doing environmental surveys on the site many years ago after closure it was suggested that sooner they knock it down the better for any chance of it being listed..

Wastelandr

Regular User
I have to be careful what I say but when they were doing environmental surveys on the site many years ago after closure it was suggested that sooner they knock it down the better for any chance of it being listed..
I thought as much, the listed status was always thrown about but never seemed to actually be true. Its messed up how these things work

Wastelandr

Regular User
Thought I'd add this final pic, upscaled and edited further. Just been looking at the site on Google Earth and god that place was huge. Absolutely gutted I didn't see more!

Ward-2.jpg

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Nice little document of the place before and after there, with some great shots!

Here's a link to the history on the County Asylums site - I think I wrote it but it might have been Tumbles :oo:hmm

The chapel was great inside, really quirky and full of interesting stuff left behind.
There were also some really old reports on the web, which showed some of the northern (and earliest to close) ward blocks were full of interesting bits and pieces left behind by patients.

Here's another shot of the boiler house / water tower.

Runwell020.jpg

Wastelandr

Regular User
Nice little document of the place before and after there, with some great shots!

Here's a link to the history on the County Asylums site - I think I wrote it but it might have been Tumbles :oo:hmm

The chapel was great inside, really quirky and full of interesting stuff left behind.
There were also some really old reports on the web, which showed some of the northern (and earliest to close) ward blocks were full of interesting bits and pieces left behind by patients.

Runwell020.jpg

Superb photo :thumb

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member

Runwell020.jpg
Wasn’t me 😀

Who has read this thread (Total: 184) View details