real time web analytics
Report - - Springfield University Hospital, Tooting - November 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Springfield University Hospital, Tooting - November 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited here with man gone wrong and met up with PV and JSP making quite a cheeky entry in. I know this place has been done lots and been seeing a few posts on exploring groups this last few days. But it's nice to do some proper decaying asylum rooms and corridors. It's a strange place as it was semi live. We got in at the most decayed areas and worked through and the corridors got cleaner, brighter and warmer with heating on. I walked down one stairs and turned the corner and there was a desk with a computer on and someone's coat on a seat. We spent a good five to six hours here exploring it.
Building of Surrey County Pauper Asylum began in 1838 on Springfield Park which was originally a mansion.
It opened officially in 1841 and had an intake of 299 patients. It expanded over time with the opening of a cottage hospital, and later an infirmary block and operating theatre.
In 1897 a new annexe opened which would be for 20 mentally handicapped children. Patients with learning disabilities were removed from wards. It was quite a new move and allowed for education and training for those with learning disabilities.
Over the next 100 years admission rates soared with more people moving from the country to the city. Mental illness soared and families struggled to cope with it. From the 1960s admissions declined as it did nationally. A lot of places started closing. Springfield continued as a hospital but started down sizing considerably. I am not sure if it is totally shut now but a lot had shut on our visit.

Starting with the more recent closed parts. Some lovely calming blues here.

Some of the single rooms

Hospital wildlife.

What was a large dormitory, almost looks like a main hall. Maybe it was a hall in the early days.

Heading into the decayed areas that have been shut a long time.

The lively room with the beds and even nicer were the old orange curtains.

Continued..

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Another nice back cat. Great coverage. Lots I haven't seen before. I do like an asylum. The build, corridors, peel, radiators, old signs etc so much to admire. Creepy arse toilets lol. :thumb

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Another nice back cat. Great coverage. Lots I haven't seen before. I do like an asylum. The build, corridors, peel, radiators, old signs etc so much to admire. Creepy arse toilets lol. :thumb
Thank you Jane. I do wished I had seen the other bits but happy with what I saw. Oh I do love it when I have whole loads of decaying toilets to photograph ha ha.

daleboy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one. Was such a fantastic wander. The tunnels were funny, when I was standing on one side of a door listening to a nurse on the opposite discussing how she was convinced she's just heard "a ghost" on the other side. Oooooops. Byeeeee.

Cracking explore. Nice pics too.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one. Was such a fantastic wander. The tunnels were funny, when I was standing on one side of a door listening to a nurse on the opposite discussing how she was convinced she's just heard "a ghost" on the other side. Oooooops. Byeeeee.

Cracking explore. Nice pics too.
Thank you. I am surprised the nurses did not hear more ghosts ha ha. It was a cracking explore but a strange place with the live bits so open to the derelict bits.

Who has read this thread (Total: 211) View details