real time web analytics
Report - - The Regal Cinema (aka. ABC, Odeon, MGM, Cannon) - Canterbury - July 2023 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Regal Cinema (aka. ABC, Odeon, MGM, Cannon) - Canterbury - July 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
One thing i have noticed over the years is that epic cinema explores seem to come in two flavours. The standard being your Streatham Hill, Grays State, Hulme Hippodrome examples of amazing untouched originality and then the other being your Preston, Bournemouth, Aylesbury and of course Bradford Odeon (do i see a theme here) examples of once great, yet now completely bastardised buildings that are such the complete opposite of that description. This place is yet another Odeon that definitely fits in that second category and quite frankly is well up there with the best of them!

I set out on a trip down south with more cinema leads than I have had in one area since 2009! 6 stops in Kent alone plus many more on the way down there and back, just like the good old days! This one was a late addition. What with all the bingo halls going recently it had been a while since i had researched actual cinema closures and I think as this was one of the 'closed for covid never to re-open' type affairs it has slipped me by until a quick google the day before. I wasn't really expecting to get very far. A cursory glance on street view showed a well overlooked and quite secure looking building and arriving there mid morning i was prepared to just have a quick walk around before moving on. Luckily the local crack heads seemed to have left just the very start of an opportunity open. It wasn't clear if this would work or if it would just leave me high and dry looking like I was up to no good in front of the whole town but luckily after picking my moment well things started to work out. The complete opposite of a walk in but it was a sniff of what the place had in store for me. I initially found myself in the industrial areas of the building, boiler house, ventilation and the like. Most of which seemed to have been pretty much disused for decades with only the boilers looking like that had had any recent attention. Screwed doors presented the usual obstacles but the place was such a rabbit warren of narrow corridors, hatches, tunnels and ventilation ducts i felt sure there must be a way passed the doors somehow. After a lot of ducking and diving finding quite an array of cool behind the scenes cinema nerd stuff like the original organ pit and lifter mechanism along the way i eventually popped out behind the familiar plasterwork outline of the main ventilation louvres. Peering through I knew id struck gold and also was the point I realised my tripod was still in the car and i was going to need way longer then the 30mins parking i had available so i left back out in to the baking 30 degree summer day to fix both those problems and get some much needed refreshment.

After repeating the slightly iffy entrance fore a second time I managed to crawl through said louvres and was amazed to see just how intact the original interior of the cinema was. Like many old Odeons of this era, what you actually see as a punter is nothing more then a façade. A cinema built within a cinema if you like. Sometimes this can be horribly destructive to the original fabric of the building but here was quite the opposite. Wherever you looked in the whole building there was remnants poking through and it seemed like if you removed all the plasterboard partitions there would be almost a whole intact 30s theatre hiding behind..

After some more climbing, crawling and using some tricks of the trade picked up over the last 96 odd examples i found myself inside the modern cinema itself. The concern became more about whether the many PIRs would bring any attention but luckily after setting off multiples it appeared not! Upon closure the cinema had two screens. One in the stalls and one in the circle. I found myself downstairs in the stalls screen and made my way back up to the foyer checking out its modern projection room as I went. Surprisingly this wasn't so bad with lots left and even a nice old spot lamp lurking in one corner. Quite why im not sure, its far too out of date to have actually been used in there! The lobby area was pure modern Odeon but again everywhere you looked the original was still poking through behind the dislodged ceiling tiles.

I headed upstairs to the circle and other screen but was surprised to again be thwarted by many boarded up doors. Having not done much research prior I was a little confused why this was but after a little google it became clear one of the main reasons this cinema did not re-open was the imminent danger of collapse from its roof! It appeared the whole of the circle has simply been boarded up for safety reasons not even leaving a official access hatch. Thankfully there was plenty more still to see tho. I started tackling the 'front of house' area, this was clearly not open to the public in its final days, containing mostly staff rooms and offices and was also quite confusing in its layout with some odd voids and a distinct lack of circle bar area (that nearly every cinema has). Again after some post research ive realised what has gone on here. The cinema was bombed during ww2 and the frontage was damaged. It was never really rebuild properly, simply patched up and made water tight and that has lead to a very obvious once you actually take the time to look at it 'half frontage'

This just left the original projection rooms to hunt out. Luckily access here was open and the rooms themselves quite well stocked with several generations of projection equipment and the like. I even managed a shot of the inaccessible screen before slowly making my way back out the entrance gauntlet in reverse.

Sadly after this one the trip started to go a bit to pear shaped (for non exploring reasons) but really enjoyed my half a day round Kent checking out some of its many epics. Hopefully theres a few more out there this good to come.

Built for and opened by the County Cinemas chain as the Regal Cinema, it opened on 5th August 1933 (the same date as the city’s new Friars Theatre opened, later to become the Odeon). The opening film was Jack Hulbert in “Falling For You”. The Regal Cinema had a seating capacity of 1,750 in stalls and circle levels. It was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/9Rank organ which was opened by Reginald Foort. There was also a ballroom and a café for the convenience of patrons.

County Cinemas relinquished the building on 4th April 1935 and it was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) from 29th April 1935. The Regal Cinema was closed on 31st October 1942 due to bomb damage and re-opened in February 1943. It was re-named ABC from August 1963.

Closed on 5th August 1972 for twinning into a cinema bingo operation. The former stalls became a bingo hall with a 536 seat ABC cinema in the former balcony which re-opened on 26th October 1972.

Later re-named Cannon Cinema, the stalls bingo was converted back into cinema use to become Cannon screen 2 from 5th August 1988. Later takeovers have seen name changes to MGM Cinema, back to ABC Cinema and currently Odeon Cinema, with the screens now seating 494 and 381. A Costa Coffee was operating in the main foyer (they have since moved out).

It was closed on March 16, 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In 2021 it was used as a Covid vaccination centre. Repairs were being carried out on the roof before the cinema can reopen. It was still closed in March 2022. It was announced by Odeon Theatres on 24th August 2022 that the Odeon will be closed permanently. In late-December 2022 a sign on the building stated it was ‘Available To Let’.

Undecided if its an 8 or an 8.5 on Speeds cinema scale.

front.jpg

IMG_5941 (2).JPG

IMG_5944 (2).JPG

IMG_5947 (2).JPG

IMG_5952 (2).JPG

IMG_5953 (2).JPG

IMG_5958 (2).JPG

IMG_5959 (2).JPG

IMG_5961 (2).JPG

IMG_5963 (2).JPG

IMG_5967 (2).JPG

IMG_5968 (2).JPG

IMG_5970 (2).JPG

IMG_5972 (2).JPG

IMG_5976 (2).JPG

IMG_5978 (2).JPG

IMG_5979 (2).JPG

IMG_5981 (2).JPG

IMG_5983 (2).JPG

IMG_5986 (2).JPG

IMG_5992 (2).JPG

IMG_5995 (2).JPG

IMG_5998 (3).JPG

IMG_6000 (2).JPG

IMG_6003 (2).JPG

IMG_6005 (2).JPG

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Wow that is the best to crop up for a long while.
Very well shot too...

The_Raw

Staff member
Who on earth thought it was a good idea to put these bland fake interiors inside such epic theatres? The one in Kensington was the same. Sadly didn't get too far in there and ended up having to make a swift exit before we'd seen much. Original features galore in there as well from what I can remember.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Dunno why I missed this the first time but it looks an absolute beaut. Still got a lot of old charm about it. Proper job

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Had the front doors flapping open a fair few times being right next to a college and 2 universities. One in ramsgate was open recently aswell but I've heard it's now being renovated

captainautism

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Amazing pictures, I did this site a while back, and its amazing to see the pictures of the old organ pit and some of the parts that I didn't get round to exploring.