real time web analytics
Report - - Valley Brook Pump House, Cheshire : December 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Valley Brook Pump House, Cheshire : December 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Valley Brook Pump House

The only decent station found from mine and Dan's recent 4-day trip through the middle of the UK.

Parking up in a nearby village, we had a nice 15-minute walk to the building. Looking inside, I was surprised to see it in such good condition, especially considering it's very visible from a quite major road.
Inside sit two Lancashire Dynamo & Crypto slip ring induction motors. These motors are rather old, think I recall seeing a manufacture date of 1935 on the plates. The motor mounted on the taller plinth was running a Tangey 3 piston water pump. There was a plate on the pump giving information about it, but I forgot to photograph it sadly. The other motor was running a smaller Worthington pump, also from 1935.
The larger motor ran at 950rpm and produced the equivalent of 15 bhp. The smaller one ran at 1440rpm, also produced 15bhp.

Unsurprisingly, no other history could be found on this one. No borehole or well records available. Nothing else online. Doesn't even come up on older OS maps. Anyway, really happy to have found this. It's a beauty.

IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg

IMG_3683.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3706-HDR.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3759.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3743.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

Last edited:

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Wow, that’s right on my doorstep and I’d never considered taking a look. It’s a lovely fine well done!
You'd be surprised with how much stuff like this is dotted about your area then. Takes a bit of finding but it is there.

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Excellent stuff, thanks for the heads up on this one too. I have a pic of the nameplate on the Tangye, I can just about make out the serial number. I'll send it over