real time web analytics
Report - - Wade Heath, Hilltop Works Burslem (Stoke on Trent) April 16 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wade Heath, Hilltop Works Burslem (Stoke on Trent) April 16

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The Hill Works, re-built in 1814 by John and Richard Riley, replicating the corner plan and arched coach entrance of Enoch Wood’s Fountain Place Works, and displaying the customary Venetian façade.

Considering to be "one of the best pottery offices and warehouses" remaining in the city. Wade Heath and Co. and then Wades Ltd. occupied the building from 1954 to 2010 when they moved to new works at the Festival Site, Etruria.

Visited a part of this a long while ago but I always had a feeling there was more to see here. A very old works which is an eclectic mix of mid 19th C buildings with bits added on seemingly every twenty years or so to create a complete warren of corridors and rooms, most of which involve climbing or descending a flight of stars owing to the fact the site is on a fairly steep hill (hence it's name I guess...)

This building was Wade's Industrial ceramics factory, along with the famous "whimseys" and flagons for the whiskey industry... I've drank a fair amount of scotch in my time and never recall it coming from a ceramic vessel, but perhaps my taste in scotch is not refined enough to experience (or afford) such delights.

The crazy layout of the place means whole swaths of the place can be missed by failing to spot a single door or staircase. I think we covered most of it though, and some of those nooks and crannies overlooked by the local scrotes still yielded intact ceramics and the equipment to make it with.

An enjoyable mooch to say the least... Everything one would expect to find in a pottery is here, even if it is a little jumbled up!

DSC_0779_zps5ljxxjtc.jpg

DSC_0782_zpsbkwh1awt.jpg
DSC_0795_zps0wky9dxs.jpg

DSC_0786_zpstikl81pi.jpg

DSC_0787_zpsi94uw0on.jpg

DSC_0790_zpsbq5j9pna.jpg

DSC_0794_zpsipnsb0ko.jpg

DSC_0798_zpsfosxbs7i.jpg

DSC_0801_zpspefipe0m.jpg
DSC_0815_zpsod2agpnj.jpg

DSC_0803_zpszzugad3j.jpg

DSC_0808_zpsnguir92w.jpg

DSC_0810_zpsx0pylw0d.jpg

DSC_0818_zpstxcttc3y.jpg

DSC_0820_zps581ms9eo.jpg

DSC_0822_zpsmc4ugfzz.jpg

DSC_0827_zpsdwhdoco2.jpg

DSC_0748_zps7jrv6hr3.jpg

Glost ovens
DSC_0753_zps5jpgz9e3.jpg

DSC_0755_zpswia9wrcn.jpg

The offices are by far the most interesting building externally, but inside has been extensivley modernised :(
DSC_0757_zpsaxfi8dd0.jpg
DSC_0762_zpskxo69yvh.jpg

DSC_0766_zps9ocdh9gk.jpg

DSC_0768_zpsn6olzer7.jpg
DSC_0773_zpsspcgeamc.jpg

The NHS hospital spec carpet under the more modern layers
DSC_0769_zpsbgsymnyb.jpg

DSC_0775_zpsce8azbaz.jpg

I bet you'd thought you'd escaped my usual tile photo... these very unusual Wade tiles had been used to in-fill unwanted windows on the works
DSC_0830_zpsu6s6eckf.jpg

STOKE SENTENAL : If you wish to use my photos please ask first! Ta!

Last edited:

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice it certainly pays to go back to places. The number of times ive gone back somewhere and thought how did i miss that the first time especially a place like this with all those nooks and crannies and staircases etc.