real time web analytics
Report - - Weybread Gravel Pits/Quarrying Operations, Suffolk - November 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Weybread Gravel Pits/Quarrying Operations, Suffolk - November 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
This is a very local place to me, I’ve known about it for years and have visited a few times, but decided to finally take the camera here and post a proper report with some detailed history I found thanks to a local history group on Facebook.

Information & History
The site pictured was the main plant and centre of operations for the quarrying of gravel which operated in the area. This area has been active as a quarry since around the 1930’s (potentially earlier, though, I'm not 100% on this) until the late nineties/early 2000s.

The largest area of extraction was at the north of the site which has been flooded for years and is now known as Ocean Pit, this section was quarried 1952 onwards. Bottle Pit is another part of the site, operations here began in the early seventies. It is known as Bottle Pit as rubbish including loads of bottles were dumped in there. Furthermore, during the operation of the quarry, many fossils were found on the site and some of these were later donated to Norwich Museum.

There used to be a few smaller buildings on the site which can be seen on Google Earth satellite imagery from 1999, but these have since been demolished.

The site was owned once by Redland, which also owned a site in North Norfolk. It has also been owned by a number of other companies including H Dean in its early years (known later as Tilbury). I believe the final owner of the site was Whitton & Frost. It is believed that the first owner was Sam Daniels. During Daniels's ownership, much of the quarry was dug manually until hitting water, this is when machinery took over. The land is now owned by Earsham Gravels.

At one point, part of the area belonged to the Ministry of Defence and there was an old firing range on site. According to a historic OS Map, the range was located a couple of hundred metres west of the main site pictured, west of Harleston Road. One of the pits was also used as a children's swimming pool at one point. In the sixties, the water level lowered by three feet despite having higher than average rainfall that year.

In July 1981, there was a major incident at the site, a dredger collapsed and a crew of firefighters came to the scene to rescue the operator. A full investigation then took place by the local police force. Unfortunately, despite the fire service’s best efforts, the operator died.

The dragline, which sits derelict at the site today, was purchased when Whitton & Frost owned the site. More recently, in around 2007, travellers lived on the site for a while and were later evicted. After eviction, the site was secured to prevent any further unauthorised vehicular access. Nothing has really changed with the site since, it’s a bit of a local ‘hangout spot’ where kids sit on the roof and there have been a few parties etc in recent years. As for the actual pits themselves, many of these are now used for fishing by members of the Harleston, Wortwell and District Angling Club.

The Explore
I spent part of a Saturday afternoon here and there wasn't anyone around, access is very easy on foot and was a very chilled-out visit.

Historic Photographs
As mentioned in the introduction, I posted in a local history group in order to gather more information about the site and the quarrying operations, and some members provided some interesting old photographs from when the quarry was in operation. Unfortunately, there are no old photos of the old building pictured.

Firstly, here is a photo of one of the H Dean lorries. It's unknown when this picture was taken.

h dean lorry 1.PNG

Below is a photo of a dragline in the Ocean Pit. It came off its sleepers and was apparently a 'major job' to get it back out.

dragline ocean pit came off the sleepers.PNG

Below is an old satellite image of the site dating back to 1999. The buildings circled in red no longer exist and have been replaced with a small lake pit, and the building circled in green remains. Note how the dragline wasn't sat outside the building at this stage.

1999.PNG

Now onto the up-to-date photos of the site that I captured on my visit, I didn't take any of the nearby lake pits but these can be found online.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Thanks for reading.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
How many times have we been here and I've never bothered to take the camera, you've managed to make it look good haha

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That place is rather photogenic and you have got the eye! Fab set of pictures....

P.S. that sign post is a bit random!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
How many times have we been here and I've never bothered to take the camera, you've managed to make it look good haha
Yep! I think it was worth taking the camera and I wanted to test the 15-85mm as well so I thought it would be an appropriate location. And because I had found a lot of history of the site, it was worth putting it all into a report.

That place is rather photogenic and you have got the eye! Fab set of pictures....

P.S. that sign post is a bit random!
Thank you mate, it is a very photogenic place, even though it's trashed. Haha the sign did make me laugh, it wasn't there when I last visited so someone has obviously pulled it out of the ground and brought it down there. There are some odd people about :rofl

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks Glynn. Bloody hell, I've been tempted to climb up there but don't have the balls to haha. I'm quite a clumsy person so I didn't think it would end well. Didn't realise you had been!
Iv been quite a few places but only post a small percentage. tbh just don't have the time to.