real time web analytics
Report - - Winstanley Hall, Near Wigan. Sept 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Winstanley Hall, Near Wigan. Sept 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The hall was built in the 1560s for the Winstanley family of Winstanley; the Winstanley family were lords of the manor since at least 1252 and may have been responsible for building the moat on the site. The Winstanleys owned the hall until 1596, when the estate was sold to James Bankes, a London goldsmith and banker. Winstanley Hall has three storeys and has a date stone with a date of 1584, but this is not in situ so may not provide an accurate date for the construction of the house. Extra blocks were added in the 17th and 18th centuries. Further and extensive alterations were made in 1811-19 by Lewis Wyatt in a Jacobean style. He moved the entrance to the left flank of the hall and replacing the original entrance with a window. The final additions to the hall were made in 1843 when an extra wing was added. To the south, on lands belonging to the hall, is a small stone building which was used to house bears that provided entertainment for the hall's guests. The Winstanley Family also owned the Braunstone Hall estate. The Bankes family retained ownership of the hall until the 21st century when it was sold for private development. The hall had been kept in good condition until the 1960s when habitation stopped. As the building decayed and the cost of maintaining Winstanley Hall was too much for the family it was sold on. It was intended to develop the hall into private flats, however refurbishment was held up due to Wigan council withholding planning permission.

I've got quite into crumbling country houses of late, and an old house keeps Cat happy as they break up the weekends I drag her around fetid empty cotton mills...

I kind of wish I had gone and seen this place a few years ago. It is a very interesting example of a Tudor house which has been tinkered with and extended over the years. It is also one of the first I have been in which has not been used as a school, care home or hospital, which meant it had not been chopped up with plasterwork.

One thing I love about these places was the customized details, which were first brought to my attention at Lennox Castle a few years ago. At Lennox the family crest incorporated a star and rose, and these symbols could be seen on various features around the house. For the Winstanley family, a long necked bird (I'm no ornithologist but perhaps a Crane?) seems to be the family symbol, and could be found cast into the iron fireplace, in the plasterwork, cut in the stone and carved into the wooden doors. I think it is a great sign of the wealth these people had to have afforded to commission a foundry pattern, plaster mould as well as stone masons and chippys to create these features... clearly "off the peg" was not an option here.

The sad thing as with so many of these fine houses is the vast cost to even stop it getting worse, let alone restore it. I think Winstanley is reaching that point of 'no return' where only the shell is savable economically speaking. Despite the decay and collapse, there are still some beautiful features to be seen.

I was told by the missus to not risk going upstairs... I'd like to go back at some point to have a pop at it.

DSC_0680_zpspx2ftd7c.jpg
DSC_0538_zpsyznyj8b8.jpg

DSC_0677_zpsrcfb2cxw.jpg

I've never seen these wooden covered switches before, so they must have been bespoke or very expensive!
DSC_0675_zpsx1qzxvol.jpg
DSC_0654_zpsqtc3wzvv.jpg

DSC_0669_zpspveiatvn.jpg

DSC_0666_zps11fdgjaj.jpg

DSC_0664_zps7c93bozo.jpg

This is the remains of the servant's bell indicator panel. I would have loved to see it with it's glass panel in situ.
DSC_0659_zpsrvxmjpgf.jpg

The bird motif in iron
DSC_0646_zpsvrcahwjt.jpg

And plaster
DSC_0649_zpsv32xmyne.jpg

DSC_0650_zpsjscvkrs7.jpg
DSC_0640_zpsvcnezvi7.jpg

DSC_0619_zpsnpcznwov.jpg

DSC_0617_zpst6xfyb1j.jpg
DSC_0601_zpsqlgnteqh.jpg

DSC_0607_zpsg7txec8w.jpg

DSC_0604_zps0adadl8q.jpg

DSC_0594_zpsqwqpvdwb.jpg

DSC_0599_zpsrjwprq1z.jpg
DSC_0591_zpsg20ub5pv.jpg

DSC_0585_zpscvo2xx9y.jpg
DSC_0579_zpsqxhgsy4z.jpg

DSC_0562_zps6xxmgk8e.jpg

DSC_0578_zpsxueblfet.jpg
DSC_0557_zps7l6ozgn9.jpg

DSC_0564_zpsilbih2na.jpg

DSC_0554_zpsueskmi9m.jpg

DSC_0545_zpstr5eakcj.jpg

DSC_0541_zpscdbuna9p.jpg

Snake Oil

go in drains
28DL Full Member
This place looks worse and worse each time its posted with bits falling down all over the place :(

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It was a death 8 years ago when I first looked in here, jeez it's f00ked now!!

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
You still managed to find all those nice details and bits of workmanship in amongst the wreckage.

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
By far the best report and shots from this place for me! Love the attention to detail with the birds etc.. I found it quite sad there, strong sense of history in there that's just been left to fall apart :(

Ferox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate. I'd pretty much give up on this place but, you have made it look intresting again :thumb

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers guys, I think lots of Tue tourist trail places we see crop up all the time are full of these little details, they just get overlooked most of the time.

Last edited:

Burnsy84

28DL Member
28DL Member
Awesome pics i went there tonight the place is in real ruins, deep shame its been left to crumble. Theres building stuff about from dorbcrest homes but that to looks abandonned

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 167