1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Various Local Efforts Compilation 2012

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by kevsy21, Feb 16, 2013.

  1. kevsy21

    kevsy21 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2009
    Messages:
    153
    Likes Received:
    5
    Meant to post this at the end of the year,anyway here goes.
    Rather a report for each place,i feel they suit a complilation better.

    Herculaneum Dock Petroleum Stores

    Active Period - 1767 to 1972
    In 1972 Herculaneum Dock closed and was filled in shortly after. The oil trade has moved across the river to Tranmere. The casemates are still very cheap to rent so are used to store explosives, radioactive substances and sometimes wine and cotton.
    In 2004, the site was bought by national property developer David McLean Homes and a riverside residential development, called City Quay, Liverpool was built on the dock.
    Each Store are a 60 ft Tunnel with heavy doors (casemates) are dug into the sandstone above the dock. They were used for storing petroleum. For safety purposes these were well away from other docks. They were the first specialist facility on the Mersey. Other dangerous materials were also stored there including turpentine, resin and explosives.

    Visited with Georgie

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Welsh Presbyterian Church

    The Welsh Presbyterian Church in Liverpool, also known as the Welsh Cathedral or Toxteth Cathedral, is a ruined church, located in Toxteth, Liverpool. In spite of its nicknames, it is not an actual cathedral and never was.
    The building was designed by the Audsley Brothers and was opened in 1868.At 61 metres (200 ft),[ it was the tallest building in Liverpool at the time.

    It is a Grade II listed building, meaning it has historical significance and may not normally be demolished. Various proposals to renovate the structure have been made over the years, and some remain under consideration.

    Visited with Georgie and Sparkuk.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Old Nicks Caves

    Visited with Georgie

    An artificial cave also known as Old Nick's Caves. This was built around 1870 by French rockwork specialist M. Combaz. It is Grade 2 listed.
    The main grotto structure remains largely intact with three openings, and a staircase leading to an opening in the roof.
    The internal chamber once contained waterfalls and cascades that fell over the rockwork and flowed into the mirror pond.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    A Widnes Culvert

    Visited with Georgie

    We came across this on a wander checking out other stuff but thought we would check it out anyway.Not that long but at least new ground.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    Thanks for looking
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in