1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Watford - ROC Group HQ no.5 - March '09 (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'ROC Posts' started by MarkR, Mar 27, 2009.

  1. MarkR

    MarkR 28DL Member
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    Messages:
    679
    Likes Received:
    4
    Home Page:
    Pre-arranged visit today with the owners who are a vets practice based in the WW2 block nearby. The bunker is in excellent condition considering its early closure. Underground is now used as storage by the vets however a few signs and equipment still remain from the ROC days.

    History from subbrit:

    ROC 5 GROUP HEADQUARTERS in Cassiobury Drive Watford. 17 Group as it was designated during the war moved into their new purpose built headquarters in 1943 having vacated their former HQ in the GPO buildings in Market Street Watford. The new centre consisted of a central brick built two storey control room with single storey prefabricated blocks around it, similar to WW2 centres at Winchester and Bedford (both now demolished). Unlike Winchester and Bedford a brick second storey has also been added to one of these blocks. In 1953 Watford was redesignated 5 Group with protected accommodation being opened at the rear on the 18th November 1961.

    The Group was disbanded following the 1968 reorganisation with its posts being dispersed to Bedford, Horsham and Oxford Groups. The buildings were retained as a secondary training centre, attached to Metropolitan Headquarters Uxbridge until 1973 and were sold in 1974.

    For at least the past 15 years the former Group Control has been used by the Park Veterinary Centre who have the WW2 buildings as their surgery, offices and public reception area. The bunker is used for storage, mainly old records, discarded furniture and medical apparatus and empty cardboard boxes. They have also fortified the radio room on the lower floor for use as their store.

    First lot:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in