1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Whitburn Rifle Shooting Range, Sunderland - October 2013

Discussion in 'Military Sites' started by skapunkmetalskater, Oct 20, 2013.

  1. skapunkmetalskater

    skapunkmetalskater 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2013
    Messages:
    96
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ended up here as a backup to an explore that couldn't go ahead and while nothing spectacular, was still a lot of fun and interesting enough to have a nosey round with TheStig and AuntieKnickers. Info below lovingly ripped from Magpie423 as I could find feck all for it myself online.

    The land for the range was bought from Sir John Sherburn by the Territorial Force Association in 1912. The camp was occupied by the Regular Army throughout the First World War and wooden huts were built for a garrison approaching battalion strength. A trench system was dug using the characteristic ‘Greek Key’ pattern of firing bays and communication trenches. After the war the camp reverted to the Territorial Association until the Regular Army returned between 1939-45. During this period, some of the trenches of the earlier war were re-excavated.

    By 1953 the wooden huts of the First War were replaced by the modern brick bungalows which today stand on the range. This work was carried out between 1954 and 1962, providing accommodation for approximately 250 troops. During the 1960s the Royal Engineers carried out ground clearance works, eliminating the ‘bumps and hollows’ between the butts and the camp and removing almost all traces of the trench system. At the same time concrete pillboxes were demolished and destroyed.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in